TEC Problems

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Traditionalist, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Traditionalist

Traditionalist New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There is an Episcopal Parish in my hometown. I’m a traditional Anglican convert (recent convert). Is there a point in bothering with the Episcopal church or should I just look for a conservative church?

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are many conservative parishes in TEC still, actually. It depends on where you live. For example there's a rogue TEC parish near where I live. Ruled by an utterly heretical woman bishop; all other parishes are full LGBT pride celebratory etc. This parish is run by a completely stodgy 1928 BCP-only priest. He doesn't even allow his own woman bishop to enter the parish, because he doesn't recognize her orders. We would love to welcome him into ACNA, and he knows all the ACNA priests and the bishop, obviously, but, for the time being, he stays put! It's a beautiful old Episcopalian church building too, from the good days, over 150 years old.

Peteprint likes this.
  3. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Depends. I'm ACNA myself but it takes local research.

4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    TEC has developed a remarkable patience in affecting change. That may seem like an odd statement since they are constantly making news for pushing ahead with something new but let me explain. They have realized the Scriptural principle that "a little leaven leavens the whole lump." The movers and shakers plan everything around the General Convention triennial cycle. They find some rogue parishes to serve as the initial leaven and they do a thing without official sanction. Then it becomes a talking point. Then it winds up on the agenda for the GC. Then a few of the most progressive bishops, who were in favor of it the whole time and had turned a blind eye to the pilot parishes that are already doing it, say that they want to offer it. So it becomes sanctioned on a trial basis. Then it spreads because it's the cool new thing to do. Finally, 1-2 GC cycles later (3-6 years), it ceases being a trial and becomes mandatory. Then, it slowly makes its way out to your Grandparents' little country church. And they are a bit confused and dismayed but they don't leave because they've been going to the church for 60 years. But its really too much for the community and the old church is doomed to die slowly because they don't get any new members.

5. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    So sad................

Stalwart likes this.
  6. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yep. 100% right. And it amazes me that the heterodox have a game plan (which they execute pretty well I might add), while the orthodox bumble around and slowly disappear.

Shane R likes this.
  7. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    IMO... Go straight to ACNA or continuum but I have no experience with continuum. Even my so-called conservative Dio of Dallas is finally showing its true colors... Although I suspected I it was actually pretty liberal given the affluent nature of the city.
    To be fair though I found my home in the Anglican Church through the Dio of Dallas Episcopal Church. Many good people still there.

8. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Rainbow colors...