Daily Office- What's your routine?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by 7sacraments, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Reader

Reader New Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Typically 4 times a week I and one or two others meet for MP using the 1928 BCP. My evening prayer is more hit or miss, when I do prayer it, I use the Commonprayer.org website.

2. RBrown

RBrown New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christianity
    I use the 1662 BCP and try to do both morning and evening prayer. Most days I get one or the other, occasionally I'll do both.

3. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I also say Daily Office from the 1662 BCP. I try to do one office per day, occasionally I manage both. I also add the Litany and the Commitation a couple of times a week each. I would strongly recommend the later, which is an excellent reflection on the horror of sin and the power of God's mercy at the same time. I also use traditional language Compline. The is an excellent resource to help you pray the offices here incidentally: https://www.churchofengland.org/pra...n-daily-prayer/subscribe-to-daily-prayer.aspx

Thomas Didymus, Andy and Lowly Layman like this.
  4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I use an ap - Daily Prayer which feeds the Common Prayer Office to my phone. I find it convenient as readings collects and the office are all assembled without the need for looking up different books. I use a contemporary form, however I imagine a traditional form may also be available.

Theistgal likes this.
  5. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I wouldn't call ours a Daily Office routine at all. It is a routine that I inherited from my grandparents (who may have inherited it from my ancestors). The whole extended family prays like this:

1. Apostles Creed 2. Our Father 3. Personal Prayers 4. Psalm 5. Grace

It may have started as a condensed form of the Daily Office. I also use the same format when praying alone (mainly in the mornings)

Thomas Didymus, Madeline and Aidan like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

For those of you with Android (maybe Apple, I don't know) devices, I recently came across iPray BCP. It has the 1662 and, so far, I have found it to be more true to the 1662 than the Church of England website. It also has a mid-day prayer. Here's the link.

Madeline and zimkhitha like this.
  7. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm like a few other here, using the Daily Prayer from the CofE app. It has the 1662 BCP, with morning, afternoon and evening prayers. Typically I pray the morning prayers, and when I wake during the middle of the night, which is more often than not, the night prayers. This used to be my time to wake up and worry, but now the hushed hours of the night are a beautiful time for prayer.

I used to think this was odd until I found out about segmented sleep, and now I find this so comforting, and like I'm part of the continuum of believers, which is where I want to be.

“Dating well into the 18th century, two periods of wakefulness alternating with two shifts of sleep per 24 hours is normal. During this time period, it is common for people to pray, think, reflect on dreams, brew ale, and even visit neighbors in the middle of the night."
    - Harvard University Medical School, Division of Sleep Medicine, 2014

Andy and Botolph like this.
  8. CWJ

CWJ Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    In the morning immediately upon waking, I cross myself "in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen."
    And then I'll pray the Lord's Prayer.

A bit later in the morning I'll use the 1928 BCP Morning Prayer from the section "Forms of Prayer to be used in Families"...slightly modified.

And at noon or early afternoon I'll cross myself and recite the Lord's Prayer.

In the evening, but a while before I go to bed, I'll use the Evening Prayer from "Forms of Prayer to be used in Families".
    Just before going to bed I'll again cross myself and recite Lord's Prayer.

Recently, due to some health concerns, I've added praying Psalm 23 right before attempting to sleep. Sleep doesn't come easy for me lately, and that Psalm is a tremendous comfort to me.

At various times during the day, or at night such as when I have a hard time falling asleep, I'll pray through my Anglican Prayer Beads.
    I've also added parts of "St. Patrick's Breastplate" prayer.

9. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    St. Patrick's Breastplate, which has appeared recently in another thread, feels so ancient and powerful.

Aidan and CWJ like this.
  10. CWJ

CWJ Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yep! :)
    A wonderful prayer indeed.

11. Kenneth

Kenneth New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I confess to missing a day or two here and there, but I generally pray Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer. I use the 1928 Book of Common Prayer and I prefer the King James Version. My preference for the KJV is based on my understanding that it is the best translation on the whole.

Lowly Layman and Andy like this.
  12. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    I’m new to this forum and new to Anglicanism and your post was a great, great help. I opened these two web pages side by side, one playing audio while I read along on the other. It was as close to celebrating the Office in church as one can get in my estimation. This will be a great boon to my prayer life, thank you.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  13. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I am glad these resources found there way to you, my friend. God bless you in your journey!

CFLawrence likes this.
  14. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I usually use the iPray app in the early morning, the Morning Prayer from the 1662 later at work, ACNA's Midday Prayer, the rosary on my walk, and then 1662 Evening Prayer and the compline later in the day.

15. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    I was saying 1662 MP and EP with Litany on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. A question... where do you ( at what point in the liturgy) do you insert the Commitation and do you return when you are done for the final prayers of the office?

16. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    The Commination should be added at the conclusion of the Litany.

CFLawrence likes this.
  17. TemplarKnight40

TemplarKnight40 New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I started using Cradle of Prayer a week ago and I love it. I devoutly use it daily and it gives me that Grace until I can receive the Eucharist.

18. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Thomas Didymus, JoeLaughon and Will_ like this.
  19. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    I just want to vent about my prayer life. First it started out with mp and ep from the 1662 bcp with litany on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday and occasionally the Comination. THEN from the Monastic Diurnal I was adding prime, terce, sext, none and compline... maybe not all everyday but enough to keep me busy. To this was added a Dominican rosary and all of a sudden I felt like things were really getting out of hand!!!!

NOW I have modified my prayer book so I am saying 1549 mp and ep with the 1549 Lectionary. In some ways this is very stark, in some ways it is incredibly rich. It all depends on what you think the purpose of the office is. This is complemented with a session of Buddhist meditation (feel free to rant, I can take it). That’s my prayer life.

20. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    When I joined this forum was around the time I discovered the 1662 BCP. It has certainly been an evolution. I have just assembled a prayer schedule that works for me that I would like to share with you.

BCP=1549 Book of Common Prayer
    MD= Monastic Diurnal, Lancelot Andrewes Press

Before 9AM Gradual Psalms ( MD)
    Morning Prayer (BCP)
    Prime, w/o capitular office (MD)

9AM Terce (MD)

Noon Sext (MD)

3PM None (MD)
    Evening Prayer (BCP)
    Compline (MD)

8 or 9 PM off to bed

In case this seems a tad rigorous to you I'm discerning a vocation as a Dioscesan Hermit

Botolph likes this.