Archeologists: Sodom and Gomorrah literally destroyed by fire and brimstone falling from the sky [Li

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Dec 14, 2018.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

fire_and_brimstone_810_500_75_s_c1.jpg

News | Faith | Homosexuality | Tue Dec 11, 2018 - 4:49 pm EST
    Archeologists: Sodom and Gomorrah literally destroyed by fire and brimstone falling from the sky

December 11, 2018 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A group of archeologists and other scientists say they have discovered strong evidence that the region of the “Middle Ghor,” where the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah are believed to have existed, were in fact destroyed by a meteor that exploded in the sky above, raining down superheated matter and raising temperatures to thousands of degrees, a theory that matches the account of the cities’ destruction contained in the Old Testament Book of Genesis.

According to the theory, the meteor exploded at low altitude with the force of a ten megaton atomic bomb at an altitude of about one kilometer over the northeast corner of the Dead Sea, and obliterated all of civilization in the 25-kilometer-wide circular plain that constitutes the “Middle Ghor.”

The researchers presented preliminary findings on the subject at this year’s annual meeting of the American Schools of Oriental Research in November, and have been developing the theory since at least 2015. They state that the evidence from radiocarbon dating indicates that a group of civilizations flourished in the area for over two millennia, until approximately 1700 BC, when the mud-brick walls of the buildings in the region simultaneously disappeared and only the stone foundations remained.

At the same time, the pottery in the settlements was heated into glass in the space of milliseconds, according to the results of an analysis of the Zircon crystals formed in the process, indicating that they were briefly exposed to temperatures of approximately 4000 to 12000 degrees Celsius, comparable to the temperature of the surface of the sun.

The explosion rained down platinum as well as molten lava on the region, according to two of the archeologists, and this further confirms that a meteor was the source, given that platinum is found in higher concentrations in meteors than on earth.

Approximately 40,000 to 60,000 people living in the region were killed, and a 500-square kilometer area was rendered uninhabitable for 600 to 700 years, the researchers estimate. They believe that the area was stripped of its topsoil, and that salts from the nearby Dead Sea were spread over the land, destroying its fertility.

The settlements that were annihilated in the event include the principal excavation site, “Tall el-Hammam,” which the archeologists believe is the city of Sodom, whose destruction is recounted in the Book of Genesis, chapter 19. The approximate date of the annihilation also matches the time period corresponding to the event in Genesis, according to archeologists.

The research has been carried out by the Tall el-Hammam Excavation Project (TeHEP) by a team of scientists from various universities and scientific institutes, including New Mexico Tech, Northern Arizona University, North Carolina State University, Elizabeth City (NC) State University, DePaul University, Trinity Southwest University, and Los Alamos National Laboratories.

Close correlation with the Book of Genesis, chapter 19
    Two archeologists involved in the Tall el-Hammam Excavation Project, Steven Collins and Phillip Silvia, wrote in a 2015 conference paper that “the physical evidence from Tall el-Hammam and neighboring sites exhibit signs of a highly destructive concussive and thermal event that one might expect from what is described in Genesis 19.”

Click here for the rest of the article:
    https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/a...rah-literally-destroyed-by-fire-and-brimstone

2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Stories like this present me with a problem; when I see "scientific" explanations to miraculous biblical stories, I can't help but wonder if the story came about to explain the event. I am troubled with doubts at time, and these play into it.

3. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I've thought that at times, but I also see enough evidence to be in favor of it as a miracle all the same. There's details in the research regarding the rocks that have been studied at the site that give more credibility to the idea that it was an act of God. Also, a bit apocryphal, but Josephus mentions that somewhere along the paths from that site, there is a pillar that is believed to be Lot's wife who was turned into dust. Jewish tradition, but I find it fascinating.

Peteprint and anglican74 like this.
  4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I certainly do think that the story came about to explain the event... No different from the resurrection, or the exodus, or any other miracle we affirm! We must be confident that the event took place, and even things like the 10 plagues, I would much rather we knew of a record of them taking place, and even theories for how they could have happened...

Like, I am very glad that the ring of Pontius Pilate has been found.. Much better than us having no physical evidence, wouldn't you say

Peteprint likes this.