BCP: Solemnization of matrimony (music)

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by SeanD, Jul 29, 2018.

1. SeanD

SeanD New Member

I would like to know if there is a musical/choral arrangement of the section from the Solemnization of Matrimony in the BCP beginning with the responsorial "God have mercy upon us" and going on "unto their lives end" - sorry, I do not know what these are called but I believe they are litanies? Is this available publicly/printed anywhere?

I am referring to exactly as it is sung in the Queen's wedding below (timestamp from 38.54- the below link will commence at this point). Apologies if I have used the wrong terminology

https://youtu.be/Pq6CmuOZx6o?t=38m54s

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    The Lord's Prayer and the prayers following the suffrages are just intoned on a single note. The music for the suffrages is pretty much identical with Merbecke's setting of the suffrages from Mattins/Evensong as found in 'Common Prayer Noted' 1550.

As far as I can remember, Merbecke didn't set the marriage service in 'Common Prayer Noted' although he did set the burial service.

If you wish, I could score the wedding suffrages as in the video and scan the sheet.

3. SeanD

SeanD New Member

Thank you Symphorian, very helpful as always. I would very much appreciate if you could score the wedding suffrages as it would probably be helpful for my choir who may not have sung this before - please do take your time, but I would be most grateful for anything you can provide. Thank you so much.

4. SeanD

SeanD New Member

Dear Symphorian

I wonder whether you had a moment to look in to this?

5. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Hi SeanD

I will score them this weekend.

6. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Scored suffrages:

Attached Files:

7. SeanD

SeanD New Member

Thank you very much, Symphorian, you shall be blessed!