I am considering being an Anglican...?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Mundal96, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Mundal96

Mundal96 New Member

United States
    Religion:
    usa
    what are their beliefs? Do I need to purchase a copy of 'The Book of Common Prayers'? Can I marry if I become part of the Clergy?
    Update: I understand the history, how Henry VIII founded it to get rid of his wives, and how it became more protestant after Edward took over, all that stuff, and I pretty sure their teaching is in the Book of Common Prayer, but I am too lazy to read the damn thing.

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Don't bother then. What decent church would want a disciple of Christ too lazy to pray or even read?

3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Oh and by the way. I've reported you for insulting the Book of Common Prayer, (not prayers), which you abusively and ignorantly referred to.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

No need to be quick on the draw, but @Mundal96 please don't be disrespectful to the Book of Common Prayer or Anglicanism either, as it's against the Terms of Service.

5. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I didn't take his comments as an insult, but he certainly is in need of some informing. The BCP is great, and not too cumbersome to read. If you can read the bible, especially the KJV, you can read the BCP easily enough. :)

AnglicanUSGirl2 and JoeLaughon like this.
  6. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Mundal,

May I suggest reading the 39 Articles first? A fairly short but comprehensive view of Anglicanism. It would take someone maybe less than an hour to read all the way through. Split up it would be finished in a few days with a few minutes each.

As far as the BCP, it isn't meant to be read all at once but used. Get a BCP app and try it out for your morning devotion. That's the best introduction to Anglican spiritual practice and worship. As far as doctrine, read the Rite for baptism, Holy Communion and the Ordinal and you get a pretty good idea of Anglican doctrine on the sacraments and the Church.

Brigid and AnglicanUSGirl2 like this.
  7. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dave Kemp and Theistgal like this.