My Bible Collection

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Religious Fanatic, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    [​IMG]

I collect english translations of the bible in full-size hardcovers with the apocrypha if available. The NKJV and NEB are recent additions to my collection.

anglican74 likes this.
  2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Do you read them as well?

I think there must be many bibles on many shelves in many homes, which just gather dust.

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Beautiful :)

Any Bibles with the beautiful images like Gustave Dore's works? "The Fall of Satan"

[​IMG]

4. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes! The thick KJV you see in that photo is a deluxe Barnes & Noble classic edition with the Dore artworks! I said to myself, since the KJV is so common, I wanted to get a version for my collection that was more 'special'. So, I went with that edition! :)

dariakus and anglican74 like this.
  5. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Could I see one of those opened up to an illustration page? Need a good illustrated Bible!

6. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Not my photo, but found this sample on GoodReads:
    [​IMG]

This bible is still in print and can be bought on Amazon or Barnes & Noble for $18-20.

anglican74 likes this.
  7. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    That is beautiful... WOuld you say that is the grandest edition of the Bible in your possession?

8. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Quite possibly, yes. Although, the copy you see of the Douay-Rheims by Loretto Press comes in a close second. It has it's share of illustrations, though perhaps not as many, and a nice binding and print to boot.

anglican74 likes this.
  9. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Do you buy into the idea of commentary bibles? Like the old Geneva Bible (which by the way do you own)?

10. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    The 1599 reprint of the Geneva Bible you see in my collection has all the same commentaries and notes as the original, sans the deuterocanon and archaic spelling. So, lyfe is now life, but the old-fashioned language is the same otherwise. I generally don't mind footnotes and commentaries. The New American Bible has some very useful ones, but otherwise I tend to ignore them, as I prefer to have them free of other people's opinions whenever possible.

anglican74 likes this.
  11. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I have the sense that the "Commentary Bible" idea has been less received by Christendom than it seemed at first

12. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    There are probably some good ones out there, but aside from the most basic footnotes in your standard non-commentary bibles (translation notes and all that) I don't really collect them. The Geneva bible really is the only commentary bible I own since that's how it was originally presented. Since many of the reformers involved with Geneva respected church tradition on a certain level, the footnotes are still relevant for most of the essential matters. However, they are certainly not perfect. The attempts to deal with the alleged 'error' of how Zechariah is quoted in relation to the betrayal of Jesus is rather poor, IMHO. Then there's the famous 'repent, and be baptised for the fruitful amendment of life', which is kind of a stretch from what the actual word means, but in a larger context can be argued to be correct.

13. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes!

My mom also created her own captioned version of this after I posted it on Facebook:
    [​IMG]

14. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    BibleHoarder,

What is your opinion of Rev. J.B. Phillip's translation of the New Testament? I know that he was an Anglican clergyman.

Attached Files:

15. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I haven't had the honor of reading it yet, I don't think! But I can tell you that, as far as Anglican translations go, the New English Bible is that only translation I can think of that nearly succeeds at rendering the puns into english which are found in the apocryphal book of Daniel and Susanna! :)

Peteprint likes this.
  16. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    My New English Bible (New Testament) is my "go to" Bible. :)

Attached Files:

• NEB.JPG
      NEB.JPG
      File size:
      3.6 MB
      Views:
    Religious Fanatic likes this.
  17. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    That is wonderful! When I started getting more serious about studying the bible, I was using a softcover copy of the NEB with the apocrypha that my dad found. Also introduced me to the apocryphal books for the first time. Then, I heard there was a revision called the Revised English Bible, and wanted to get it, but accidentally ordered the Revised Standard Version which wasn't quite the same, but still good! And, I am watching out on eBay for a copy of the REB, so I can see which parts have been updated from the NEB. I know they correct the mistakes with Psalm 22:16 in the REB. The NEB uses "They hacked off my hands and feet" whereas the REB goes for the more traditional "They pierced my hands and feet". NEB isn't a bad translation overall, however!

Peteprint likes this.
  18. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Here's one that may interest you; the New Mathew Bible (also called the October Testament): https://baruchhousepublishing.com/

It's a one person edit of the Mathew Bible NT. The lady who did it is no great scholar and rather slavishly adheres to continental magisterial Protestantism. Still, it's an interesting project. She released the finished document to BibleGateway so you can read it some before you decide if you want to spend money on it. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis+1&version=NMB

19. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Just came across this thread. I've just picked up this Authorized version. Other than a change (in most parts) from Black letter (Gothic) to a Roman font, it's an exact copy, prefaces, artwork, spelling and printing mistakes, &c all included. It's fascinating to read the prefaces, and is just a beautiful book and an even better translation. Some pics are upside down. IMG_20190723_172448051.jpg IMG_20190723_172215204.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  20. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    IMG_20190723_172252180.jpg IMG_20190723_172319512.jpg IMG_20190723_173602352.jpg Some more pictures
    IMG_20190723_172252180.jpg

Botolph likes this.