Episcopal Church 77th General Convention News Thread

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Sean611, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic

Anna Scott likes this.
  2. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Sean,

Our Rector is standing strong and is on the CP list. He also posted a letter on our Parish website explaining that no blessings for same-gender unions would be performed in our Parish. He's making his position very clear.

I suppose we all have different ways of dealing with the issues. Our orthodox Bishops and Priests are merely human, and they are under a tremendous amount of pressure right now. So, I can't really criticize what action or inaction they choose.

Toma and Sean611 like this.
  3. Anna Scott

Consular,
    You are very brave to share this with us. You certainly have my respect and my prayers that you will stand strong and firm in the teachings of the Gospel and God's call to live Holy lives.

Sean611 likes this.
  4. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    No doubt, I definitely think that some of these sexual issues relate to past experiences or experiences while growing up. I, too, agree that there can be a genetic predisposition to same-sex affection. One of my cousins is a gay man and it was something that we always knew about him, even from my earliest childhood memories.

I think the same can be said about those who struggle with gender identity as well. I believe that some of those who struggle could be genetically predisposed to gender confusion. It can also be said that a lot of this confusion comes from mental disorder as well. I hope TEC and parishes who choose to ordain and put those struggling with gender identity in leadership positions take their time in making such decisions and offer help and counseling for those who really are in need of it. Some of the worst things are done with the best of intentions.

Toma and Anna Scott like this.
  5. Anna Scott

Sean,
    You just brought up a key issue, as there are many who truly need counseling---especially those who have been sexually abused in the past resulting in same-gender affection. To place people in leadership roles, especially with children, without proper counseling, whether homosexual or heterosexual is irresponsible IMHO.

I think there is great risk in simply saying, "I was born this way" (as pop singers have taken to a whole new level)--which may leave many of same-sex affection still suffering from the effects of past abuse. To ignore this could be seen as pastoral irresponsibility, in failing to minister to those who are suffering-just MHO, of course.

Standing against same-sex unions and ordinations does not mean we lack compassion.

Sean611 and Toma like this.
  6. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Here it is, folks - the money quote: whether you're dealing with gays, liberals, heretics, schismatics, infidels, pagans, atheists... or just with yourself... this is the golden truth. :)

This general convention seems to have brought one good thing out, albeit in a way that makes it extremely difficult to see it: the good thing is, the urge to see trans./homo./all poor sinners as human beings first, made in the image and likeness of God. Though the way they make the point is far too strong (by opening all positions to unrepentant sexual sinners), there's a slight glimmer of meaning in it, right?

Those who commit sexual sins usually allege that "I was born this way". The true bravery in my admission, Anna (if there was any), is the courage in accepting the freedom Christ gives me to say "okay, I was born this way - in original sin, not in a specific sexuality - and so what? I am called with every other human being to live the Gospel of truth, righteousness, and well-ordered love: of self, neighbour, and God, so no excuses for any sin."

Even if homosexuals and transvestites are somehow born that way, it is of no matter. We're judged by how we live, not how we are born. A man born blind can be made to see: by faith, love, and trust in God.

The "I was born this way" excuse seems to get sympathy for the poor confused people who are in these situations, but "I was born this way" could be the excuse for any sins. Christ will listen to this excuse from neither party.

Of course, all this is applicable to heretics, schismatics, and deniers of truth: they weren't born that way either, so we have no right to think they can't be won back for Christ, like homophobes have no real reason to think the gay culture cannot be taken by the hand and led to Christ.

We should be vigilant about ourselves first, then the PECUSA hierarchy. Thanks for the prayers. ;)

Sean611 and Anna Scott like this.
  7. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Same here. I was very surprised that our parish's clergy were not listed. They certainly share the same sentiments. Ever since the previous GC, however, their tone has sounded more defeatist. You're right about sticking our head in the sand. Fighting for a better day is not the same as hiding and hoping that it will all go away. And when clergy no longer have the will or motivation to fight for a better day, that troubles me. That's when i start asking myself if I'm wasting my efforts. I don't think that I am, but it's an unavoidable thought. It's easy to feel as outnumbered as the righteous people in Sodom ("for the sake of fifty," etc).

Anna Scott likes this.
  8. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    My Bishop is on the list. My Rector is not.

Sean611 likes this.
  9. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I understand exactly how you feel, I feel the same way. Our clergy are certainly in a tough position. If they speak out or take a strong stand, then they risk punishment from their revisionist Bishop. If they speak out it also puts the parish members at risk of suffering hardship from the Bishop. If they don't take a stand or speak out, then they are guilty of not defending the faith. Knowing when to speak up or stay quiet must be an incredible burden, especially for a priest who has a family to support. I'm thankful that my Bishop is supportive of traditional parishes, even though he himself is somewhat liberal.

10. Anna Scott

Sean,
    In followup to the questions of Biblical justification for promoting same-sex agendas; I was wondering if you have read To Set Our Hope on Christ, a Response to the Invitation of Windsor Report 135 (2005)?

This was written in response to Paragraph 135 of the Windsor Report which requested "a contribution from the Episcopal Church (USA) which explains, from within the sources of authority that we as Anglicans have received in scripture, the apostolic tradition and reasoned reflection, how a person living in a same gender union may be considered eligible to lead the flock of Christ." So, it was written when ordination was the issue. I know something more recent has been written as justification for blessing same-sex unions. I just have to find it. If you have a link, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Anna

11. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I have not read TEC response to the Windsor Report of 2005, thanks for the link! I skimmed through some sections of it already and it seems to be a very respectful and well thought out response. Even if I might not agree with some of it or even a lot of it, I can appreciate a well-thought out response. Again, thanks Anna! I will let you know what I think of it when I finish it.

Unfortunately, I do not have the most recent justification for blessing same-sex unions, however, if I find it or anything else that may be of use, i'll be sure to post it!

Anna Scott likes this.
  12. Anna Scott

Sean,
    I'll do more checking later. I think a document was posted on our Diocese website awhile back.

I've got to do some things outside forumland. So, more later. :D

Anna

13. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have refrained from commenting on this this thread because the topic is no longer relevant for me. I have moved on (or backward to the ancient faith). What the TEC GC does really does not surprise me. For those of you remaining in the TEC--I know the struggle you feel--hanging on or leaving. I chose to leave the TEC. And now, God has brought a nice new ACNA Anglo Catholic church seven minutes from my house.

...Scottish Monk

[​IMG]

Adam Warlock likes this.
  14. Anna Scott

Scottish Monk,

I'm glad this is resolved for you.

The problem is that not all communities have a Continuing Anglican Church. That presents a problem for many Episcopalians.

Though, as I posted earlier, the issues and resolutions of the 2012 GC may cause more Parishes/Dioceses to leave TEC and enter Continuing Anglican Churches, which could bring about more continuing Churches in more communities across the U.S.

15. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I commiserate with all of us still struggling in the TEC.

16. Anna Scott

Rome is not for me either.

17. Adam Warlock

Just an update - not that I'm so especially important, but I've had conversations with some of you and have asked for prayer, so:

I'm staying.

The Hackney Hub and Anna Scott like this.
  18. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Sean611 I couldn't find the resolution you mentioned about lay ministry in your posts in the GC documents. Is it labeled as having to do with something other than lay ministry?

19. Anna Scott

Adam,
    You are especially important to me. :D I'm glad you are staying.

Continued prayers,
    Anna

Adam Warlock likes this.
  20. Adam Warlock

Thank you! :D