Westminster Confession?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by JoeLaughon, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I often see sometimes among the more über Reformed Anglicans that the WCF is an Anglican confession and those who devised it were Anglican divines. This seems to be on its face untrue but then I see educated men like Gerald Bray implying it as well. Thoughts?

2. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Westminster Confession was meant to be the confession of the Church of England as approved by Parliament after the Civil War. I suppose in that sense it was (briefly) the confession of the established English church and therefore "Anglican". But I agree it's a bit of a leap to call it Anglican today

3. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
  4. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I thought as much. I do find it interesting that Anglican divines did attend the Synod of Dort where Bishop George Carleton was given a special position of honor.

5. Anthony B

Anthony B New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Presbyterian
    All in all... from what I see... the WCF and its catechisms are faithful to the majority of the 39 articles. the confession took the articles into heavy account when it was written. The only places the confession errs from anglican teaching is on the canon of scripture and the form of church government...

6. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    The Westminster Divines were Presbyterians and Congregationalists. I was under the impression all others were excluded but I see I was wrong. I know the Particular Baptists held to a similar covenantal view of that expressed by Anglican John Tombs (anti paedobaptism) and that found in the word of John Owen (commentary on Hebrews) but it was a minority view and excluded.