Hello!!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by seeking, Mar 6, 2018.

1. seeking

seeking New Member

Hi there,
    I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm a Roman Catholic, and while I love aspects of the church (The mass, the "smells and bells", etc., Virgin Mary devotions, saints) I am opposed to most of its' doctrine on social issues: I'm a feminist, pro choice, and pro-lgbtt, so often feel like a square peg. Being a Metis (indigenous/French) person, I'm also disappointed that the church never publicly apologized for the residential schools. Women not being able to be clergy also upsets me and i don't see that changing.

I'm really on the fence ..should i stay or should i go, basically. I had a friend that was Anglican and my paternal side was growing up (but lapsed for the most part). Would my ideas fit in better there?

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome friend! May God richly bless your time here. :)

3. WendyP

WendyP Member

UK
    Religion:
    Christian
    :handshake: Hello Seeking, warm wishes for your spiritual journey.

4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic

5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    With respect, you are not a Roman Catholic nor even a Christian. It's my prayer for you that He will touch your heart and help you understand what it means to follow Him.

6. WendyP

WendyP Member

UK
    Religion:
    Christian
    May God fill all our hearts with love, compassion and understanding in these troubled, confusing and divided times. This hymn expresses it more eloquently than I ever could:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYCly-kqQcs

7. Vincent J. Coppola

Vincent J. Coppola New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Dear seeking,
    I'm new here myself. This is my first post. But I have been reading here for a while and can tell you that it is a good place to receive reliable information and advice about living a godly life.
    All of us are on a journey. The particular church you attend is secondary. The aspects of The Roman Church that you love are outward qualities and practices and are not what the Roman Church or most other churches are really about. Our primary concern as disciples of Jesus is to be in a proper, spiritually healthy, relationship with Him. Different churches express this in different ways but essentially it's about loving God, acknowledging that Jesus Christ is His Son and accepting His way of life as good and striving to to live likewise. This means that anything contrary to His way must die in us. That is part of what we promise at baptism. We must always to willing to throw away anything that is contrary to His way - He is the light, there is no darkness in Him. When we live in Christ our sin is forgiven. Then we are close to God.

1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin."

May God Bless you on your journey

8. AnglicanTex

AnglicanTex Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Welcome! I myself am new here. I would second getting a great relationship with Jesus Christ my top priority and make my denomination second.

Although I can't speak for every person here, the stances your present church takes on issues such as the lgbt community, female clergy, abortion etc. is pretty much standard for all Christian Churches, orthodox Anglicans included. Again, I'm new around here but I don't think you will encounter hostility or name calling for asking honest and heartfelt questions. I look forward to getting to chat!

9. AnglicanUSGirl2

AnglicanUSGirl2 New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Hi welcome! I also recently underwent a major spiritual change. I was baptized Episcopalian (Anglican) but then my family left the church, so for 18 years I was away. Then recently, after a series of personal troubles, I called up my Old Friend who I hadn't spoken to in years. So now I'm back home at the Episcopal Church, and happier than ever. The good thing about the Episcopal Church is that it's welcoming to all, whether liberal or conservative. We'd be happy to be your spiritual home :)

PotterMcKinney and Lowly Layman like this.
  10. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Why is it that when someone has something disrespectful to say they always start the sentence with the words "With Respect "?

Scrutinizer likes this.