The Conciliar Anglican

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Jenkins, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Jenkins

Jenkins New Member Anglican

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglicanism
    Many people reading this may already be aware that last month the author of the wonderful blog The Conciliar Anglican, Fr. Jonathan, brought things to a close after five years when he made his final post on that blog. I wanted to bring this to the attention of anyone on these forums who may not have been a regular visitor to The Conciliar Anglican, however, as in his final post Fr. Jonathan mentioned that the site will remain live for the time being, from which I gather the fabulous material thereon may disappear at some point. When I began seeking a deeper understanding of my own tradition a number of years ago I was a bit stuck for help, until I came across Fr. Jonathan’s blog. I feel The Conciliar Anglican has been one of the most helpful and worthwhile things I’ve spent my time reading (and rereading) and would encourage anyone interested in, or desiring a greater understanding of, classical, orthodox Anglicanism which is grounded in the formularies to invest some time in doing the same, if indeed they haven’t already. I pray that God may continue to use The Conciliar Anglican to display to its visitors more clearly His glory, to deepen their faith and to draw them nearer Himself.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Anne, Lowly Layman, Andy and 2 others like this.
  2. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Chiming in to agree with everything you've said.
    This blog is a wonderful resource.

Lowly Layman, CWJ and Jenkins like this.
  3. CWJ

CWJ Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yep, I've read through just about every article on his blog.
    He has really helped me understand some tough issues related to Anglicanism, as well as being just fun to read :)
    Highly recommended to everyone.

Lowly Layman, Jenkins and Madeline like this.
  4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

:( miss it.

CWJ likes this.
  5. Jenkins

Jenkins New Member Anglican

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglicanism
    Me too.

When I received a notification that there was a new post less than a month after the previous one I got all excited as that hadn’t happened for ages. Then I read it.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. SirPalomides

SirPalomides Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
  7. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Saw it coming. Having followed him I ended up having a face to face meeting with him. And despite him being so historically minded online, in person he was amazingly all rapturous about the 1979 BCP and didn't really find TEC that objectionable. It was just such a weird odd combination. He's basically a Novus Ordo liberal Catholic, namely fluffy liberalism that's not yet visibly self-destructed in a manner that TEC has. You get to keep the illusion that you can hold all those liberal beliefs, without having the evidence of the ground crashing under you. When the ground of TEC started to crash under him, he went over to Rome, so as to keep the illusion going a little longer. The Anglican Communion has benefited from this. He wasn't the man he seemed online of a professorial historicizing persona.

Shane R likes this.
  8. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    Eh, I really liked the blog, and it grafted me into the Anglican fold when I was just convinced enough of Catholicism to squirm trying. Though, perhaps it's just because the TEC hasn't crumbled under me yet ;)

Stalwart likes this.
  9. SirPalomides

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    He definitely painted an attractive picture but it's historically untenable and I guess even he started to realize it. The religion he is describing as classical Anglicanism just doesn't exist.

10. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I suppose it isn't very surprising, but it is bubble-bursting. We knew he was a Newman at heart, I guess, but we were really hoping for a Pusey.

11. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Judas disproves Christ, in the way you see things? As Potter says, we hoped he'd be a Pusey but he turned out to be just a Newman.

12. SirPalomides

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    Again, the form of Anglicanism he described on his blog- faithful to the 39 articles, etc while basically agreeable to Catholicism, including invocation of saints, relics, etc does not exist.

13. Achilles Smith

Achilles Smith Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Great blog, thanks for sharing.

Jenkins likes this.
  14. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    "Fluffy liberal Catholicism " is imploding

Anne likes this.
  15. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I hope so, but one wouldn't know it in the Diocese of Richmond or San Antonio.

AnglicanTex likes this.
  16. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Not too surprising, but I am disappointed by his blog post about it.....I know many wonderful RC converts who do not cite a past of "bashing" to defend one's turf or an emotional mysterious calling that is used as the reason for converting. Hopefully he adds some depth in his other posts.

Jenkins and Achilles Smith like this.
  17. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We each walk our own journey, and part of our task is to support others on their journey.

18. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic

19. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Helping people see the path more clearly is well and truly within my understanding of the task of helping people on their journey. It just happens to be a little different from standing in judgement. I know I am grateful for the help I have had on the journey as a result of the Conciliar Anglican.

20. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Was my comment seen as unkind?