Which Rite for Holy Communion

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by DivineOfficeNerd, Nov 1, 2017.

1. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    What rite for Holy Communion, Mass, the Divine Liturgy, et cetera, do y'all use? There is a ton of variance within the Anglican world, and many people use different rites of varying degrees of Protestant and Catholic. I personally am a fan of the 1549 Rite and the varying Scots and Non-juror rites.

Tom likes this.
  2. Tom

Tom New Member Anglican

At my Church we use the English Missal combined with Common Worship. As a combination it makes feast liturgies extremely confusing for the servers and the Priest but it is very beautiful.

DivineOfficeNerd likes this.
  3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    1928 American BCP. There is one service for Holy Communion in that august volume.

4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My parish uses A Prayer Book for Australia which is an authorised (possibly even normative) rite for the Anglican Church of Australia. Privately I use the Common Worship App for the offices, as this is the easiest minimum fuss portable way of having all your need with minimum fuss.

Anglican Parishes I am aware of in reasonable reach use APBA, The Scottish Episcopal Rite (C1990?), AAPB (An Australian Prayer Book 1978 precursor to APBA) and Novus Ordo (with a couple of concession to Anglican usage).

In this era of desktop publishing the great majority of Anglican parishes these days hand out a booklet which will be largely modelled on the APBA (or some other rite) with local adaptations, modifications, edits, and the inclusion of what is deemed to be the necessary non-essentials. Whilst one will generally call this APBA, in a real sense we are becoming increasingly local usage and adaptations to local usage for when the Bishop appears seem generally to return the rite somewhat closer to the APBA. Some have indeed abandoned books and simply display the rite on screen/s - and when confronted with this, I tend to close my eyes and say the words I know I need to say.

5. anawkwardaardvark

anawkwardaardvark Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Personal use, the 2003 REC BCP, which is modeled on the US 1928 and supplemented with 1662 BCP.

Local parishes use 1928 BCP Anglican Missal, 1979 BCP Rite One and Two, and two other parishes do cut and paste liturgies from the 1979 BCP and ACNA proposed texts and other sources not disclosed in the bulletin.

Common Prayer ain't so common anymore.

Shane R likes this.