Invited to serve in liturgy

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Josef, May 13, 2017.

1. Josef

Josef New Member

England
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hello all,

My name is Josef. I began attending my local Anglican Church of England about three months ago.
    The Reverand has asked me if I would assist in the liturgy in some manner (I do not know the names for the procession roles - casting the incense, etc.)

Having come out of a Charismatic tradition, the concept of liturgy could not be more foreign to me - though I am willing to learn from and engage with it. I told the Reverend that I would be happy to help, but admitted my ignorance.

I have a couple of questions I hope those with greater experience can cast light upon:

1) Are there resources (books, etc.) you could recommend, that would help explain the liturgy, its history and significance etc.?

2) Do you believe it's wrong for me to serve in this manner, when I am so inexperienced in the Anglican tradition? I am happy to help where available, but perhaps carrying boxes is a more suitable work for now.

Finally, there is a further complication. The Reverend intimated that he desired a move away from the... oranate clothing worn by those serving (it's quite a High church), to a more simplistic outfit. He implied that by serving in this more simplistic outfit I would be helping to 'promote his cause' to what I think may be a resistant congregation.

The last thing I desire is to be a pawn in church politics! But, he is the Reverend, and I believe in submitting to spiritual authorities.

Thank you for any insight or comments you can bring. I am eager to learn all I can.

Regards.

2. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi Josef, you can ask the Rector for what you need to know, what his expectations are, and what you can study to give you some background. As far as avoiding being involved in church politics (which can be pretty high stakes, believe me! :laugh: ), you could say that you're willing to give it a try for, say, 3 months, and then will see how you feel about it.

Best wishes to you!

3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic

4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    It would appear that the vicars trying to move the congregation from high church to low. Are you a tradititionalist or modernist?