What are the differences between Roman Catholics and Anglicans about Holy orders?

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by niccolo25, Jan 28, 2016.

1. niccolo25

niccolo25 New Member

Italy
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    There is no difference as far as I can see. We understand the episcopacy somewhat differently in that it doesn't carry some mystical unspoken tradition which no one else knows. That sounds to me like gnosticism, yet it's taught in Roman catholic theology and doesn't have a basis as far as I can see. What else... hmm we have all the other stuff the same. The bishops serve the same leadership function. In fact they may be said to have a greater significance since there isn't a Pope to override them. The other stuff is all the same... the canons work under the bishops, the archdeacons run archdeaconries and diocesan programs. England has the office of prebendaries. There are the regular priests and deacons as well. What else can I tell you? It seems basically identical in terms of offices.

3. niccolo25

niccolo25 New Member

Italy
    Celibacy aside

4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I'd imagine very little

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Depends on the priest. The fact that ano Anglican priest is able to marry and keep a family is no small thing of course... there appears to be more autonomy to choose which parish to serve. Also, and I don't know how prevalent this is, but my TEC priest is bi-vocational. During the week he works full time as a lawyer in a local firm. And also, TEC priests may be women which comes with its own peculiar set of differences.

Also, for better or worse, there seems to be looser control on the beliefs and doctrines which an Anglican priest may teach and confess.

Probably less day to day structure and sacraments, but that's just a guess.

6. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    From what I have seen it is how they relate to their parish. GENERALLY, Roman Catholic Priests are not a personable, nor do they interact much with the laity outside of Mass. Maybe select people. They are GENERALLY more uncomfortable in personal settings with people. In the Roman seminaries they are taught a monarchy type approach, they are in charge. Few have parish councils. Every Anglican Priest I know has a vestry. MOST, not all, interact will with the laity. The people are GENERALLY more willing to approach an Anglican priest who is not taught a monarchy type style of management.

I have used words like general and most as there are examples of Roman and Anglican Priests who do not follow what I have just written.

Fr. Mark

7. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Catholic priests are encouraged to celebrate Mass every day, whereas daily Mass/Eucharist ( or even offices) would be unusual in an Anglican church barring maybe a cathedral. Also all Catholic priests will spend time hearing confessions, whereas in the Anglican tradition practice on oral confessions varies greatly.

Lowly Layman likes this.