About Traditional Anglicanism

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Elijah148, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Elijah148

Elijah148 New Member

Germany
    Religion:
    Christian
    Good day,

I am trying to inquire about the Conservative/Traditional Anglican faith. I have had some interest and sympathy growing inside me after reading some books about the Christian faith where Anglicanism appealed the most to me.

Can anyone experienced with Traditional Anglicanism give me a thorough summary of the history, canon law, theology, mass etc?

PS: I only want the version up to the 1950's. I have read that since the 1960's it has become ultraliberal and near anarchist which saddened me :(, to think that such a great Christian denomination with honourable features would fall prey to the winds of the Zeitgeist pains my soul.

I love Jesus Christ and the Bible and want to stay true to it without the slightest compromise. :crosssign2:

God bless you.

Rev2104, Andy, Aidan and 1 other person like this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    My dear brother in Christ,
    You have found what love and cherish as well. I will look at what I have to give you summaries of all that you ask for, but others may be of much help as well.

I pray that you and we continue on our course, finish the race, and fight the good fight for faith once delivered unto the saints. I shall pray for you.

Rev2104 likes this.
  3. Elijah148

Elijah148 New Member

Germany
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you and God bless, I will also keep you in prayers. :)

Rev2104 likes this.
  4. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    =
    It has been a rough and emotional road for me to get to the Anglican Church. As a member of the traditional anglican/ anglo catholic/ too many labels side of it I can only say it was a blessing. When I left the catholic church I would of ended up Orthodox I thought and than I found the most amazing parish, with the greatest priest. I do not know all the ends and outs of the Anglican Church I just know my experience of it. The fact that we look at the whole history of the church, her traditions, The holy scriptures, and temper that with reason has in my mind created a deep authentic church that is faithful to the teachings of Christ and carry on his work. There is no off the cuff invention here, no special insight of scripture that someone just found. It is in my mind what has always been taught, prayed and believed.

Madeline likes this.
  5. Elijah148

Elijah148 New Member

Germany
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you for your reply :) Could you tell me what kind of literature you used to learn about the Anglican faith? What Bible do you use? I have found a Catechism of the Anglican faith, it was written by the ACNA, should I use this one to start my introduction into the faith?

6. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

Two of the biggest influences in my Anglican life are J.I. Packer and J.C. Ryle. For good, sound, traditional, conservative teaching, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with these two. As for daily experience, I prefer the 1662 Book of Common Prayer and the Authorised Version (King James Bible).

Elijah148 likes this.
  7. JonahAF

JonahAF Moderator Staff Member Typist Anglican

@Elijah148--
    We have worked at some length to publish works of central, traditional Anglican identity on this site (and still have a ways to go!).

The Church Catechism, which dates from the 1560s, and is often directly reprinted in our Prayerbooks:
    http://www.anglican.net/doctrines/church-catechism/

Traditional commentary on it by Bishop Beveridge in the 1700s:
    http://www.anglican.net/works/william-beveridge-church-catechism-explained-1720/

The Thirty Nine Articles of Religion, dating from the 1560s and likewise direct reprinted in the Prayerbook:
    http://www.anglican.net/doctrines/articles-of-religion/

Traditional commentary on them by the Rev. John Ellis from 1660:
    http://www.anglican.net/works/john-ellis-defensio-fidei-defence-thirty-nine-articles/
    (we'd like to add more in this category)

Additionally there are several sundry other writings out online, some dealing with Prayer, with the Church, episcopacy, anglican identity vis-a-vis the puritans and roman catholics, a commentary on our Book of Common Prayer, and more, which you may see on our main site anglican.net.

All of these works predate the 1960s by several centuries, so you may well find what you are looking for here.

Elijah148 and Andy like this.
  8. Elijah148

Elijah148 New Member

Germany
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thanks to both of you :yes:

9. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    One of my all-time favorites is a "An Apology for the Church of England" by john Jewel, a true Anglican classic.
    It should be accessible in many places on the internet.

It is short, compact, and very powerful

Elijah148 likes this.
  10. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Probably the biggest influence for me when I was first considering Anglicanism was Thornton's "English Spirituality"

Elijah148 likes this.
  11. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I didn't realise that you are a convert, may I ask what faith you followed previously and why you changed?

12. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Also Thornton's Christian proficiency. It is shorter and easier to read.
    I think the must helpful for one thinking about coming into are branch of Christianity is attending mass as often as possible and any prayer service on can. By attending those you can understand how we approach our faith.

Anne likes this.
  13. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Hi Aidan, I was raised Presbyterian (PCA) but my family never made very good Presbyterians :) My parents came from non-religious backgrounds, and the joke from friends was that we would "end up Anglican"....and here we are.

Biggest reason: I find Presbyterian to be only "half way." All symbol and even some meaning but too often empty. And too often built around persons and personalities. Traditional Anglicanism is the ancient faith as refracted through the lens of Western culture....if I couldn't be Anglican I would be ROCOR or something similar.

14. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Dear Anne, imagine my surprise to discover that there's a ROCOR congregation in my small city in N Ireland