Highchurchman: Rest in Peace

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lowly Layman, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Dear Anglican Forums family,

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of the passing of Father James (Jim) Petty, better known to us as @highchurchman, on July 10, 2015.

The Anglican Catholic Church, Diocese of the United Kindgdom, made the announcement the following day: http://www.anglicancatholic.org.uk/2015/07/11/death-of-priest/

Father Charles Johnson, priest-in-charge of the Church of St AlbanThe Martyr, confirmed the news and graciously provided additional information for those interested in honoring Father Jim Petty's memory. His email follows:

"The Highchurchman you mention is indeed Fr Jim Petty, he passed to his eternal rest on Friday 10th July 2015, his Funeral took place on Friday 24th July. A Requiem Mass and a service of celebration of his life will take place at The Church of St.Alban The Martyr, Salford, Lancashire UK, on the 12th September, where he served as the assistant Priest. Further details of his work and writings will follow in due course. You may use this email to inform others.

Yours in Christ,

Fr.Charles"​

As many here can attest, Highchurchman was an active and influential voice on Anglican Forums. Even at the age of 82, his wit and wisdom, friendliness and feistiness, were palpable half a world away. He was ever the defender of the Catholic Faith as it was received and restored in the English Church, of the Holy Scriptures, of the Early Church Fathers and of the Seven Ecumenical Councils. More than that, he was ever the kind and generous friend to us all. He cast a long shadow and leaves a profound and lasting void. I pray that, by the grace of God, the platform he's been given here will allow the words and witness he left behind to echo for many years to come.

It is my hope that all who can will join the members of The Church of St. Alban the Martyr on September 12 for Fr Jim's Requiem Mass. And for those those who, like me, cannot, please take a moment where you are to thank God for the life and ministry of Father Jim (@highchurchman) and to pray for the repose of his soul.

O GOD the Father;
    Have mercy upon the soul of thy servant.
    O God the Son;
    O God the Holy Ghost;
    O holy Trinity, one God;
    From all evil, from all sin, from all tribulation;
    Good Lord, deliver him.
    By thy holy Incarnation, by thy Cross and Passion, by thy precious Death and Burial;
    Good Lord, deliver him.
    By thy glorious Resurrection and Ascension, and by the coming of the Holy Ghost;
    Good Lord, deliver him.
    We sinners do beseech thee to hear us, O Lord God; That it may please thee to deliver the soul of thy servant from the power of the evil one, and from eternal death;
    We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord.
    That it may please thee mercifully to pardon all his sins.
    That it may please thee to grant him a place of refreshment and everlasting blessedness;
    That it may please thee to give him joy and gladness in thy kingdom, with thy saints in light;
    O Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world;
    Have mercy upon him.
    Have mercy upon him.
    Grant him thy peace.

Lord, have mercy.
    Christ, have mercy.
    Lord, have mercy.

INTO thy hands, O merciful Saviour, we commend the soul of thy servant, Father James Petty, now departed from the body. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech thee, a sheep of thine own fold, a lamb of thine own flock, a sinner of thine own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of thy mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen.
    (-1928 BCP)

Tom, Stalwart, Peteprint and 2 others like this.
  2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Rest eternal grant to him O Lord, and Let light perpetual shine on him!

Joshua119 and Lowly Layman like this.
  3. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    I have only been on the forums for a short time. In that time I was blessed to have interacted with Highchurchman.

May he gaze forever upon the face of God.

Fr. Mark

4. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Go with God my brother

The angels, martyrs, apostles and saints are waiting for you in the New Jerusalem, where Lazarus is poor no more.
    May the peace of the Lord be with you always.

5. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    I am brand new here, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading his posts and responses. I have already learned so much. I am greatly saddened that I will not get to converse with him. It is truly a gift from God that his knowledge will live on here for me and for others.

Lord God, you are attentive to the voice of our pleading. Let us find in your Son comfort in our sadness, certainty in our doubt, and courage to live through this hour. Make our faith strong, through Christ our Lord.

zimkhitha, Botolph and Lowly Layman like this.
  6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    His writings were such an edification. Imagine the wars he had to have fought in the English Church faithfully clinging to truth in time of widespread apostasy..... what a blessing that he stood strong all the way to the end. He finished the race, with a crown of a victor.

May he be blessed in the eternal rest of the saints, in the sight of God.

zimkhitha, Botolph and Lowly Layman like this.
  7. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Memory Eternal!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    Lord, rest eternal grant unto him.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that heareth my word and believeth on Him that sent me hath everlasting life and shall not come into condemnation but is passed from death unto life."

Lowly Layman likes this.
  9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Beautiful quote Servos.

10. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
  11. Mr.Peanut

Mr.Peanut New Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am really late to this thread. I came across this forum largely due to a thread he participated in regarding the use of the rosary in the AC, and thoroughly enjoyed his responses. May his memory be eternal.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  12. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
  13. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have also only just discovered this thread and would like to offer this prayer from the 1662 BCP which means a lot to me personally.

O merciful God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the resurrection and the life; in whom whosoever believeth shall live, though he die; and whosoever liveth, and believeth in him, shall not die eternally; who also hath taught us (by his holy Apostle Saint Paul) not to be sorry, as men without hope, for them that sleep in him: We meekly beseech thee, O Father, to raise us from the death of sin unto the life of righteousness; that, when we shall depart this life, we may rest in him, as our hope is this our brother doth; and that, at the general Resurrection in the last day, we may be found acceptable in thy sight, and receive that blessing, which thy well-beloved Son shall then pronounce to all that love and fear thee, saying, Come, ye blessed children of my Father, receive the kingdom prepared for you from the beginning of the world: Grant this, we beseech thee, O merciful Father, through Jesus Christ, our Mediator and Redeemer. Amen.

Lowly Layman and Botolph like this.