Ending of Gospel of Mark (chapter 16)

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Scottish Monk, Jun 6, 2012.

1. James Snapp Jr

James Snapp Jr New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Adam Warlock,

I have no doubt that the reason why you have seen more commentators on the "later" side is because so many commentators, instead of doing their own investigations of the text-critical evidence, have picked up Metzger's books, and repeated -- with some alterations so as to not commit outright plagiarism -- what he said.

I have read/heard online comments by Dr. Craig Blomberg and by Dr. Daniel Wallace -- two American scholars who have a measure of influence on at least a couple of English Bible translations -- to the effect that they do not think Mark 16:9-20 belongs in the Bible; I have no doubt that they are considering removing the whole passage from the text and putting it in the footnotes (as was the case in the initial publication of the RSV). So if you consider this passage canonical, you should be concerned about the misinformation and one-sided presentations that are being spread on this subject.

Yours in Christ,

James Snapp, Jr.

2. James Snapp Jr

James Snapp Jr New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Scottish Monk,

May the peace of Christ also be with you.

Although you are stepping away from this conversation, I hope your study on this subject will continue -- hopefully with the consultation of sources that do not simple rephrase Metzger. I invite you to obtain a copy of my research on this subject. If you prefer not to get the Kindle edition and don't want a copy directly from me, you can find a special edition of Authentic: The Case for Mark 16:9-20 at the Textexcavation website (just dig around the Textexcavation website searching for my name and the files should be easy to find).

Yours in Christ,

James Snapp, Jr.

3. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    I think that it was suggested somewhere above that there is nothing in the longer version that is not supported with agreed upon scripture. Actually, however, verse 9 is the only place - as the KJV has it - that places the resurrection on the 1st day of the week.