Which Bible Translation Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by coton boy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. coton boy

coton boy New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Christian
    Taking into account that many of us will have a variety of translations, is there one that you consider to be your "main" translation?

Cooper and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Sometimes I use the ESV but the Authorized Version (KJV) still remains the sublime text of the Scriptures.

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I'm a King James man but sometimes use the ESV and NRSV. I used NLT with my kids when we first started reading the
    bible.

4. RBrown

RBrown New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christianity
    ESV and KJV primarily. I'd like to get an NRSV.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I like the NRSV. Translation has both academic credibility and sufficiently decent english as appropriate for Anglican use.

6. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I use the NRSV as well. Great translation!!

Cooper and Lowly Layman like this.
  7. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I think if you use a traditional liturgy, like the 1662 1928 US, or Rite 1 of the 1979US, the KJV or RSV pairs nicely. NRSV or ESV works best with modern liturgies.

8. Ide

Ide Well-Known Member

For general, quick reading I've used The Message combined with the NRSV. Even though The Message is not accurate I like the voice in which it is written as it easier readability. For clarity and study I like using my NRSV.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  9. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Corporate worship is the KJV. For private devotions or with other Christian groups I will use the NKJV or the ESV.

10. John Shrewsbury

John Shrewsbury New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Christian
    I love the KJV, ESV and RSV. My church uses the NRSV which is also good.

11. RBrown

RBrown New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christianity
    I'm noticing a lot of you use the NRSV. Are there any Anglican themed study bibles out there?

Lowly Layman likes this.
  12. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    I know that I'm pretty late to this thread, but I use the New Cambridge Paragraph Bible, KJV w/Apocrypha. It's an incredibly close rendering of the 1611 text with a few minor updates (1611 heauen is spelled heaven etc.) It contains all of the Catholic books. Plus they added quotation marks, which I find make reading much easier. A column version is also available, but doesn't have the quotation marks for some reason.

I've never seen an Anglican study bible, sadly, but the Episcopal Bookstore recommends the Wesley Study Bible and the Archaeology Study Bible. I've never used either one, so I can't really comment on them.

13. Alkayus

Alkayus New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic; n/OSB
    I use several translations:

Main translation (liturgical and reading/study) - KJV w/ Apocrypha
    Others I use quite often: D-R, RSV-CE, Knox (beautiful, great for lectio divina), NKJV & Septuagint (via the Orthodox Study Bible) and ESV w/ Apocrypha (great translation in line with the KJV but in modern English which can be helpful at times, especially in teaching)

14. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    So now that I've been using the New Cambridge Paragraph Bible for some time, I have to retract my earlier statement. The bible, which is quite expensive, is sadly not worth the money IMO. Thin pages are a common complaint these days, but I have found the pages of the NCPB to be so thin that the text on the backside of a page is almost as visible as the text on the front side.

For me, at least, the "ghosting" is so bad that it becomes very distracting and hard to read for any length of time. I had been very excited but unfortunately I have to say that it is not a very good Bible for primary use.

Thomas Didymus and Botolph like this.
  15. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    I use the King James Version.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  16. RBrown

RBrown New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Thanks. I actually have the Archaeology Study Bible and do enjoy it quite a bit.

Cooper likes this.
  17. Joshua119

Joshua119 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    neat, I've been wanting to try it out, so maybe I should. In the time since my last post I did discover a study bible called "The Companion Bible" by E.W. Bullinger, who was a highly respected Anglican clergyman and theologian.

However, he was also a proponent of hyperdispensationalism and the theory that Jesus was crucified on a stake, not a cross, so I'll have to leave it to more educated persons to say whether or not "The Companion Bible" is appropriate for Anglican use.

18. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I use the KJV when praying with the BCP. When I'm in a less Shakespearean mood and just want to read the Bible by itself, I rather like the Ignatius Press "Second Catholic Edition". It's still based on the RSV, which is based on the KJV, so it is good. Really, anything that avoids corrupting the text for the sake of political-correctness or dynamic equivalence is a good Bible. :)

Dave Kemp, Cooper and Lowly Layman like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

I use the Authorised Version. I've tried to use others, but I'm always drawn back.

A little off topic, I recently discovered the Heritage Edition Prayer Book and Bible. It combines the 1662 BCP and the AV. I can say that it is of very good quality, although I wish it were a little larger in size and print.

20. Alkayus

Alkayus New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic; n/OSB
    I have always loved the combinations available of the BCP with the KJV. Pretty much the perfect combination without the need to carry extra books. Here is a link to the 1928 BCP together with the KJV w/ Apocrypha. I would love to buy it someday soon, and my father has a copy:
    https://www.anglicanbooks.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11&idcategory=5