Another new one

Discussion in 'New Members' started by RBrown, Jul 31, 2015.

1. RBrown

RBrown New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Hello, I'm coming to this forum looking forward to doing a lot of reading and soaking in. I'm a lifelong Baptist who has always had an interest in the Anglican church. To say I'm involved in the SBC would be an understatement as I'm a deacon and teacher at my church. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am hurt by or angry at the SBC, but I'm finding myself to be on the outskirts of their doctrine. I'm not bored and simply looking to move on, I'm hungry and wanting food. I want the focus of the service to be more than singing 6 "praise and worship" songs and the worship to be based on more than how singing those songs makes me feel. I hope that makes sense. I know some of you may have never stepped foot in a Southern Baptist Church, but for many (not all) that's the short and skinny of it. When I was ordained as a deacon we had to set through a "questioning" with the entire minister/deacon body and have them question and test each of us. I planned for weeks and was ready to go. 90% of what they asked me was if I tithed, if I was baptized by believers baptism and "you do abstain from alcohol, don't you? I need to hear that you don't drink alcohol. Say 'I will not drink alcohol' "....

I've read the 39 Articles, The Anglican Way, Concise Theology by JI Packer, and To Be a Christian: An Anglican Catechism. I have a 1979 Book of Common Prayer and I have fumbled through it a few times. I've already started a list of books based on some of the threads I've read here. I'm finding that I do agree with most of what I've read and do agree with on the important parts. I like how two people with slightly differing views can worship together where at the SBC that usually isn't the case.

There is a TEC church here in town and there are a few ACNA churches in the Nashville area. The author of The Anglican Way is the priest at one of those churches actually. There is also a Southern Episcopal Church in Nashville as well. Our problem is that Nashville is about an hour away and the theology of the local TEC parish is a little, well, almost atheist all dolled up for Sunday. I've noticed a few of you mentioning some distaste with ACNA, but being new to this I'm going to have to read further as they and TEC may be my only local(ish) choices.

That turned out much longer winded than I intended, but hello and I'm glad to be here.

RB

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    My brother @RBrown I am glad to see you here. I hope the Lord guides you in faithfulness and the beauty of holiness.

3. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Brother Brown,

I am a former SBC pastor of many years ago. My grandfather was a SBC pastor for 55 years. I can understand your hunger for meat in worship and theology.

I have numerous contacts and links for Anglican parishes throughout the United States. If you do not mind telling my your home town, I can check my sources for Orthodox and faithful parishes in your area.

For full disclosure, I am reverting back from Romanism. I presently attend a continuing parish, but will be coming back into communion with
    the Reformed Episcopal Church. I can tell you my "exam" for orders in the SBC was sadly lacking. I experience much of what you have said.
    Now for the Anglican Church.........written tests (about 30...I do not jest), constant examination by a priest at least weekly, priest coming to my home and living with us for few days periodically to see how my house hold lived. Examined by a Bishop prior to ordination as a Deacon and for the priesthood,
    examined by a board of Bishops (one Oxford trained another in the Holy Land)...passed that and then by my Ordinary. Fill their requirement where they saw a deficit and then ordination.

As a note, or pastoral advise...I know not asked and I may presume to much as I am not your priest......avoid the TEC. Yes there are some Christians still there, but over all the group has abandoned the Scriptures, traditions and creeds of Christianity......and reason.

You will also find Anglicans using various Books of Common Prayer. Our brothers and sisters in the UK still use the 1662 and in the States all different types. I have copies of the 1549, 1559, 1662, 1928, 1979 and the 2005 REC BCP. I prefer the 1928 or 2005. My parish uses the 28 and I use the 2005 for the offices.

May God Bless you and your family in your journey.

Fr. Mark

Anne likes this.
  4. RBrown

RBrown New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Fr. Mark, I'll be sending you a message shortly. We are looking for something close to home as
    we have two boys under the age of three and getting us all out the door early enough for church an hour away and back home in one piece would be no small feat.

5. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Hullo and welcome!

Pretty much everything Fr. Mark just said. Excellent.

And take a peek at the continuing churches to understand what all that's about. I feel like I should apologize for what a mess Anglicanism is but, well, that wouldn't help very much:)

A very dear Presbyterian pastor of mine came from the SBC and was similarly convicted and feeling starved - he lasted all of two years in my church with me and then we both became Anglican. You're in good company!