Should Britian remain in the EU?

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Scottish Knight, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    As those of us in the UK will know there will be an upcoming referendum on whether we should stay in the European Union or leave within the next couple of years. Does anyone have any thoughts about the issue?

2. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    As things stand now, I think we should stay in, our industrial base,is, it seems thoroughly integrated with European industry! I would not like to be politically integrated with Europe though, my to mind it should be a simple market aaffair and we should also follow the European code of justice, which our present Government doesn't like.

Scottish Knight likes this.
  3. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    The most popular British politician in Serbia is Nigel Farage.
    I think that argumentation of UKIP is good.

Scottish Knight likes this.
  4. Scottish Knight

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Never knew Farage was popular in Serbia Servos, but yes I tend to agree with you. I haven't seen any other politicians deal seriously with his arguments.

Servos likes this.
  5. Scottish Knight

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    If it were a simple market affair I would agree with you. The trouble is as it stands now the EU is very political. It would be interesting to see what reforms Cameron will be able to get but I'm not overly hopeful it'll be much. I think a simple market union is what most Britons want but that's wanting something the EU is not nor has any intention of being. Leaving the EU will leave a lot of work to do since so much of our industrial regulation comes from the EU. Robert Oulds (Director of a Think Tank on the EU) has voiced the opinion we should transplant all of EU law into our legal system on the event of a leave and then our Parliament can work their way through repealing harmful areas of regulation while keeping the good. Otherwise, he argues we'll have gaping holes in our legislation. Nevertheless in the long-term I believe it will be better for Britain to leave. The fact we are a major importer of EU goods and export comparatively little will put us in a strong position to negotiate a free trade deal. The ability to regulate our own borders and make our own trade agreements with other countries will be beneficial too.

Servos likes this.