A question regarding Baptism and the church

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Joshua Allen Dotson, May 9, 2015.

1. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I'm not sure I'm the best one to ask, not being Orthodox. But I believe they are saying that they are the only Church which has not deviated from scripture and tradition as held by the early church and the Fathers. It does seem to me that in many areas they have deviated the least. Take the atonement, for example. They have held steadfastly to the earliest atonement views (ransom/recapitulation/Christus Victor);
    they have not adopted the later theories first formulated in the Latin West, whether RC or Protestant, those being Satisfaction, PSA, Governmental.

Their tenacious adherence to the ancient has had its wholesome effects. However, it seems to me they don't go back far enough but base many of their teachings on traditions held mainly from 200 A.D.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Thanks a lot
    Highchurchman!

Servos and Lowly Layman like this.
  3. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    You are quite welcome!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Lee Gatiss is just some guy, no credentials to speak on centuries -old Anglican doctrines let alone alter things.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    So, does that mean you deny the place of Evangelical Anglican doctrine in Anglicanism?

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I don't know what you are talking about.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    You seemed to take issue with the validity of the views expressed in the article, as being expressive of acceptable Anglican doctrine. If I'm wrong about that, forgive me.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  9. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    I like what St Cyril of Jerusalem taught about baptism in his procatechesis. The teaching on John 3:5 born of water and spirit.

He talks about Simon Magus who was baptized in water, but admitted not the Spirit to illuminate his heart.

We can not limit baptism to water only. Water only baptism saves no one, water and Spirit is what saves. Baptism does regenerate
    so says scripture, the Apostles, Church Fathers, 39 Articles. I think where we may go wrong is in thinking like Baptists. Say a prayer, or out case
    be baptized, you are forever saved regardless. With this thinking we bind the Holy Spirit and God. Or being afraid of being thought of as
    Roman Catholics.

Read the Baptismal Rites. I used the 1928 BCP. Many "we hope" "we pray thee" "perserve" etc.

Lowly Layman likes this.