The Order for Visitation of the Sick

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Peteprint, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I think we are talking at cross purposes Lowly. Sin entered the world through man's actions. Therefore man suffers illness and death. We both agree on this I think.

Do you understand this to mean that when a man becomes sick God in every case is sending this illness to him personally, or do you agree with me that in many cases this man is ill because he is suffering the effects of sin that all men are burdened by?

My human body can be injured by fire. If I stick my hand in a flame it gets burned. I do not then say, "God burned me."

Sin is a disease that afflicts all of us and is the root of our suffering. We did that to ourselves, not God.

I need to stress, I am not discussing blame here. I don't want the conversation to go in that direction. I am discussing cause. I read Cranmer and Laud as saying that every illness is specifically sent by God to the person in question. I dispute that.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    highchurchman likes this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I think Cranmer and Laud are right though....but then i generally do...

3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I understand Lowly, and I am glad that we can agree to disagree.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
  5. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Anne likes this.
  6. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    To sum up in my own poor words what the article says so well: if we have an issue with the prayer book, then we must return to Scripture and see if the BCP's exhortations can be refuted. In this case I find that it is absolutely in agreement!

Cranmer's Crosier likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

great find Anne! He does a very good job saying something I agree with. God is in control. God reveals to us in scripture "I wound and I heal" (Deuteronomy 32:39). I agree that God sends sickness into our lives in order to accomplish His purposes. And we cannot be certain what those puposes are, such pretense would be hubris. What we can be certain of, however, is that it is God's visitation.

8. Cranmer's Crosier

Cranmer's Crosier Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Not poor wording at all. I'd like to add that I'm no Job. Why are we adverse to talking about bad things in terms of God's judgment or chastisement? Not that we can say positively for sure in the cases we have, but I'm sure glad repentance is a part of the office.

Next, the prophets when they meet God think they will die (Isaiah 6) God's visitation is a frightening thing which makes the Incarnation and the grace therein so marvelous.

9. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    I know I'm late to the party but the Holy Week services have reminded me of the words in our Doxology that may be pertinent here