Hi!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by GB-UK, Dec 22, 2014.

1. GB-UK

GB-UK Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi, just thought I would introduce myself! I'm a newish member of my local Anglican congregation in the North East of England. Originally a Baptist, went to an Assemblies of God bible college, worked in a Baptist Church for a while before looking for something new. Been away from church for a few years but cannot put away my faith so have been an on off member of the Anglican church for a couple of years now. Looking to find where God is going to take me next, but looking to share and be a member of a community of on-line Anglicans.

Anne, Paddry and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome, GB! I, to0, was baptist before I became Anglican. I look forwarding to getting to know you!

I recently found out that baptists in the UK are radically different than baptists in the US. UK baptists tend to subscribe to the London Baptist Confession, which has a high view of election, while US baptists tend to not subscribe to anything remotely historic. Can you confirm that UK baptist tend to subscribe to the London Baptist Confession?

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. GB-UK

GB-UK Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi, thanks for the welcome! As for your question it depends on the person or more often the chapel they belong too. The Baptist congregation I was a member of was certainly not in the Calvinist camp, in fact before going to Bible college I didn't have much contact with or knowledge about the whole Armenian/Calvinist divide as we were firmly in the Armenian trench so never received teaching on the doctrines of Calvin!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard GB-UK! May God richly bless your time here. May I ask what drew you to the Church of England from a baptist/pentacostal background?

5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Greetings!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Welcome GB. :)

7. GB-UK

GB-UK Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you all for your warm welcomes! There wasn't any particular thing drew me to the CofE, I guess it was a gradual process of moving away from what I felt was in some way emotion driven rather than Spirit driven worship. I really feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in the shared experience of the litany of the Church, it feels more like fellowship and unity in the Spirit and not some kind of religious rock concert. Does that make any sense?

8. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

it does indeed.

9. Paddry

Paddry New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic/ACNA
    Welcome GB. I too am a former Baptist. I'm glad you found us.

10. lola404

lola404 New Member

United states
    Religion:
    catolic
    Hi there, nice to meet you ! im newbie here too, welcome :D