‘Earthquake’: Vatican report emphasizes ‘positive’ aspects of cohabitation, homosexuality [LifeSite

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Oct 13, 2014.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

DSC_0309_810_500_55_s_c1.jpg

‘Earthquake’: Vatican Synod mid-term report suggests emphasizing ‘positive’ aspects of cohabitation, homosexuality

ROME – The Vatican’s interim report on the debates at the Extraordinary Synod on the Family, released in Rome this morning, includes a range of controversial proposals that are eliciting strong reactions, including a statement from the Voice of the Family coalition charging that it amounts to a “betrayal” of the Catholic faith.

The document, which is not definitive and is merely meant to summarize the debates of the first week, asks whether “accepting and valuing [homosexuals’] sexual orientation” could align with Catholic doctrine; proposes allowing Communion for divorced-and-remarried Catholics on a “case-by-case basis”; and says pastors should emphasize the “positive aspects” of lifestyles the Church considers gravely sinful, including civil remarriage after divorce and premarital cohabitation.

After the document, known as the relatio post disceptationem, or ‘report after the debate,’ was read in the Synod hall this morning, numerous bishops reportedly rose to raise concerns or ask for clarification.

Cardinal Peter Erdo, the synod’s general relator and thus the document’s lead author, told a press conference at the Vatican this morning that some bishops questioned why the document fails to mention Church teaching that homosexual unions are “disordered.” Vatican reporter John Thavis, who describes the document as a “pastoral earthquake,” wrote that “at least one bishop asked what happened to the concept of sin,” noting that it is hardly mentioned in the document.

The document has drawn strong praise in mainstream media and from liberal Catholics. Joshua McElwee, the Vatican correspondent for the leftist National Catholic Reporter, commented on Twitter, "Reading this #Synod14 document, I don't know what to say. It feels like a whole new church, a whole new tone, a whole new posture. Wow."

Fr. James Martin, SJ, tweeted: "Today's stunning change in tone from the Catholic bishops on LGBT people shows what happens when the Holy Spirit is let loose.”

Click here for the rest of the article:
    https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/e...erm-report-suggest-emphasizing-positive-aspec

2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    "Fr. James Martin, SJ, tweeted: 'Today's stunning change in tone from the Catholic bishops on LGBT people shows what happens when the Holy Spirit is let loose.'"

I wasn't aware that anyone was holding the Third Person of the Godhead captive.

3. Ogygopsis

Ogygopsis Active Member

The headline is more than what's actually happening and what will happen. This current pope is more of a pastor than the last one who was more intellectual. Thus, I think we're starting from the perspective of where people actually are in life, versus the ideal of where we should be. Truth can't contradict truth as someone said (who was it?), and I expect that they will advance to the same conclusions they've made in the past because of what RCs hold to be truth. (We can disagree with their definition and acceptance of what they hold to be truth, but that's an additional matter I think.)

Peteprint, your point is nicely made, and humourous. We always have to be careful to discern our own motives and feelings from what is really happening. Until a consortium of cardinals and other learneds agree with the idea about the HS being loose, I think we can put it down to hyperbole. (Cardinals I suppose come in conclaves not consortiums.)

Peteprint likes this.