Your personal or favourite saint(s)?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Lux Christi, Aug 20, 2013.

1. MatthewOlson

MatthewOlson Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Catholic
  2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Botolph.jpg I will put two cents in for St Botolph. All but forgotten by many, but with others a very important person in the Christianity of England.

JJD likes this.
  3. PointyHairedCalvinist

PointyHairedCalvinist New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Presbyterian (PCA)
    Since the time of the apostles, four men have been towering Giants - Athanasius, Augustine, Luther, & Calvin. Athanasius towers over them all, IMHO, as he fought tooth and nail for the definition of who God is, and his defense of the Biblical Trinity and Deity of Christ allowed the other men to define how we come to know Him. He also suffered numerous persecutions in a "Christian" society for being too "fundamental" and "uncompromising." Would that we had more Athanasi...i? Athanasioi? Athanasiuses? Never mind, God worked through him in such a profound way that his voice continues to be heard today in the creeds of the Church.

JJD and Lowly Layman like this.
  4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

He was certainly one of the pivotal personalities of church history. Great pick PHC!

5. Holy Tare

Holy Tare New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    St. Fabian. He was the Bishop of Rome in 250 and was martyred by The Emperor Decious, by beheading by sword. His feast is in the lectionary January 20, with Sebastian. Why do I like him? He was elected by divine sign (a dove flew above his head and disappeared). He got the church in order and was a VERY good administrator. He brought back the bones of a highly political saint to Rome and enraged Decious by doing it. He was a very brave and capable man and we need more like him.

JJD likes this.
  6. JJD

JJD New Member

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglo Catholic
    St Richard thanks be to thèe my lord Jesus Christ for all the benefits which thou hast given us for all the pains and insults which thou has borne for us o most merciful redeemer friend and brother may we know thee more clearly love thee more dearly and follow thee more nearly Amen

Prayer of st Richard
    Bishop of Chichester
    :rolleyes: