Hi there.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Pecanpie, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Pecanpie

Pecanpie New Member

US
    Religion:
    New Anglican
    The first time I heard about Anglicanism I was in my high school freshman geography class. We were covering major religions and our teacher said he was an Anglican and he mentioned the separation of the C of E from Rome. He was a man I felt a lot of respect for and hearing him say Anglican made me an admirer of the tradition to this day.

When I was 17 years old I attended a Christmas Eve service at a TEC parish with a friend and her parents. It was the first time I ever stepped inside an Anglican church yet I was ignorant Episcopalian is Anglican. Although I was a pagan I loved the experience. At the age of 24 I converted to the Christian religion and was baptized in a Lutheran church. I am now 27 and today my father and I attended a TEC service for the third Sunday in a row at an old church with a bell. We are in the church's new directory, and I plan to ask the vicar about church membership next week.

I have a copy of the 1662 prayer book (350th anniversary edition with an introduction by James Wood) and I am memorizing the Catechism in the 1928 prayer book. I like to read content on Project Canterbury.

Looking forward to discussing with you folks. :)

2. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Welcome, that's a beautiful story!

How was that Christmas service you first attended?

3. Fr. Bill

Fr. Bill Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican Christian
    Welcome, Pecanpie, though my saying "welcome" sounds really odd, since I've only been around here for a week or so. It's like showing up uninvited to a family reunion, and then standing at the door welcoming all those who arrive after mee. Cheeky!

I'm glad to see someone register admiration for the Anglican faith from the git-go. Let's hope and pray its flaws (all of us have flaws, dontcha know) don't diminish your admiration. Most of those who post here (by my initial survey) seem to be pilgrims of the hardy sort.

Pecanpie likes this.
  4. Pecanpie

Pecanpie New Member

US
    Religion:
    New Anglican
    Thank you. From what I remember it was special. I liked the images on the walls of the Saints, the crucifix above the altar, the hymn-singing, and seeing communicants kneeling to receive the Eucharist. The vicar was a warm person and I wish I can remember what his sermon was about. At the end we all had birthday cake.