Objections to Hell and Immortal Souls

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by BrethrenBoy, Jul 16, 2014.

1. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
  2. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Thanks for the links BB interesting reading.
    I am not sure I would really want to bother trying to counter his arguments. They seem to me to be written through a filter of dualistic thinking. I am quite happy to let the mystery unfold as we go on our journey back to God.

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I believe in the universal restoration of all mankind. That is not the same as claiming there is no hell, which is mentioned throughout scripture. My hope , and given many proofs in the scripture, I think this hope is well founded, is that it will not be eternal. It was the dominant view in the ancient church. And I think it is the one view that bridges the gap between arminianism and Calvinism.

4. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Scripture teaches hell eternal.

5. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    I believe, that Hell is of our own making. That when we die ,like the robber on the Cross, we go to paradise ,which is similar to Eden and there rest content or other wise till the second coming! When Christ was lauded with shouts of praise and flowers, garments and palm leaves were strewn on the ground before him on his ride to Jerusalem, the reading of it brings it all back, and our punishment when we are in paradise, the New Eden, will be loss of participation. Sadly his face will not shine upon us sinners in its full ness, nor will we walk arm in arm with Christ and His Apostles. It will not I expect be His punishment, but our own guilt! Our conscience whilst we await His Final Judgment.

6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

A great book contemplating heaven and hell is CS Lewis' The Great Divorce. Probably one of my favorites

Peteprint and MWDavis like this.
  7. MWDavis

MWDavis New Member

Religion:
    High Church
    One of the most thought-provoking parts of The Great Divorce is that Lewis acknowledges both the possibility of universal reconciliation (as suggested by the Bible) and the suggestion (also evident in Scripture) that some men knowingly refuse Heaven.

This is one of those questions I think is totally outside of our powers of understanding. We don't know for sure what will happen on the Day of Judgement. All we can do is pray for the souls of the dead, live the Faith, and help to bring others into the fold. Whether all men will be reconciled or not, our conduct would essentially be the same.

Peteprint and Lowly Layman like this.
  8. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Well put MWDavis. :)