Transgender Episcopal Priest...need I say more?

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Lowly Layman, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7sacraments

7sacraments Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Liberal Anglo-Catholic
    Sacraments of the Gospel no...the articles and the Scripture defines that. however, after the Catholic Restoration otherwise known as the Oxford Movement the five other sacraments, while not sacraments of the gospel have been redefined as what I would use the term "Sacraments of the Church".

I used to own a copy of the 1979 copy of the American BCP where the catechism had been added to in part to add in the redefined understanding of the sacraments into it. but since then I've misplaced that book (which is a bit sad).

But to full explain the highchurch or Anglo-Catholic theological postion I recommend checking out this link:

http://anglicanhistory.org/alexander/

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Here is what the 1979 BCP catechism says about the other sacramental rites: "Q. What other sacramental rites evolved in the Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit? A. Other sacramental rites which evolved in the Church include confirmation, ordination, holy matrimony, reconciliation of a penitent, and unction.

Q. How do they differ from the two sacraments of the Gospel? A. Although they are means of grace, they are not necessary for all persons in the same way that Baptism and the Eucharist are."

3. 7sacraments

7sacraments Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Liberal Anglo-Catholic
    Correct. And when dealing with the idea of considering the other 5 sacraments as sacraments, there was something said when it came to speaking about private confession with a priest that I think applies to the idea of consideration of the of 5 sacraments:

"All may, none must, some should"

Gordon and Lowly Layman like this.
  4. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    That doesn't mean they are not sacraments

5. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    The Sacraments
    I
    once spoke to my friend, an old squirrel, about the Sacraments--
    he got so excited and ran into a hollow in his tree and came
    back holding some acorns, an owl feather,
    and a ribbon he had found.
    And I just smiled and said, "Yes, dear,
    you understand:
    everything imparts
    His grace."

St Francis of Assisi

6. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Sacrament, in its day meant a,' holy thing or object, any ordinary object for sacred use'. The Orthodox as I understood used to claim anything used at the Eucharist as a sacrament. Seven is a western thing.
    However we are talking here about a different matter. The fact is the Church is being driven in to paths that many religious, or spiritual believers cannot accept! There has been shown total contempt for the faithful's queries and doubts. The matter is just one of a series where the church goers problems have been pushed aside, in my view, it is no more than an attempt to fill pews, or seats at the expense of the Anglican Church! We must not see this business as an isolated incident, we have in the recent past the near total abandonment of the ancient prayer book; the question of, not just gay priests, but Gay Bishops , who abandon their wives and marry other men. Now we have divorce and the whole system of Christian morality is being abandoned. I was taught that the Christian family was based on marriage of man to woman? What is next paedophilia?
    Now, if the Christian message has been wrong, or if Christian discipline has been faulty,or is now faulty
    it should be the business of the Catholic Church at large and this business should be dealt with by and through the mechanics of the Bishops and Councils and not pushed through Church Synod under pressure from government and press.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
    Rev2104 and Gordon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.