Hello!!! I'm a Greek who wants to join the Anglican Church

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Fotis Greece, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Fotis Greece

Fotis Greece New Member

Greece
    Religion:
    Christian (Low Anglican)
    Hello I'm a student from Thessaloniki,Greece. I have an eastern orthodox backround. I'm amazed by the anglican church and it's theology. I want to become a full member of the church of england (or another church of the anglican communion) but that's difficult for me because there is no presence of the anglican church in Northern Greece. Looking forward to discuss theological matters and become friends with other anglican folks.

Sincerly your brother in Christ Fotis

Mercy, Old Christendom and Alcibiades like this.
  2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Member

Perfidious Albion
    Religion:
    Uncertain
    Geia saV apo h Agglia! KalwV orisate!

Unfortunately, my greek, ever shaky at the best of times, is, these days utterly rotten; I daresay I can barely manage any more than that!

I'm something of a philhellene (or at the least, I fell in love with a greek once and decided to understand that marvellous culture a little better! The love of Greece definitely outlasted the relationship though), so I'm always hugely excited to meet one in person.

It's a pleasure to have you here with us. Please tell us, what has drawn you from Orthodoxy towards Anglicanism?

3. Scott Knitter

Scott Knitter New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
  4. Fotis Greece

Fotis Greece New Member

Greece
    Religion:
    Christian (Low Anglican)
    Dear Alcibiades. I can see that you are a philhellene even from your forum name. I think that you phillhelenes are more greeks than native greeks actually. You study our language and our culture with such a passion that I can't see in a greek. I love that. I believe that you are not born Greek. But you become Greek. Anyway I was drawn for Orthodoxy to Anglicanism mainly because of the triptych Scripture, Tradition, Reason. You know. In my previous church there was no balance on these. In the Orthodox Church we use Tradition in a way that in many ways it leaves behind Scripture and Reason. For example we use Scripture in our Churches in the ancient Greek language. People barely undesrtand some words. On the other hand the Anglican Church being both Catholic and Reformed has a balance over these things. It also retains the apostolic succesion something that is very important. In conclusion I feel that I can worship our Lord Jesus Christ more easily in the Anglican enviroment

An Awkward Aardvark likes this.
  5. Fotis Greece

Fotis Greece New Member

Greece
    Religion:
    Christian (Low Anglican)

Dear Scott, Just like you said I have found this. It says that there is a parish in Thessaloniki but it's actually three people without a priest gothering on every next Sunday. There meetings are great and they worship the Lord but I cannot enter fully in the Anglican tradition there.

6. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome! One of the great liberating experiences in my life was visiting Greece as a student in 1965. That included visiting an Orthodox monastery with a monk.

We have family in Athens, and when we're there we go to the Anglican church, St Paul's. They have a congregation from all over the world, including some Greeks, who, whilst remaining Orthodox, like Anglicanism.

Fotis Greece likes this.
  7. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Kalos orisate, Fotis!

I'm sort of a philhellene myself. I took Modern Greek in university, as well as some Ancient Greek in high school along with Latin, but sadly I'm not fluent. I've been to Greece twice in the past, it's a lovely country. So you're from Salonica? I assume you're a PAOK fan, then. Or perhaps Aris' or Iraklis'!

I'm glad you are considering Anglicanism and the Reformed Protestant faith. A bible-centered church is vital to one's growth and sustenance in the Christian religion. Have you tried to take a look at the Greek Evangelical Church? I gather they're located in Athens only, though. But perhaps you can check them the next time you go to the capital.

Mercy likes this.
  8. Mercy

Mercy Member

Welcome, Fotis! I am yet another admirer of the Greek language and culture. :)

Servos and Old Christendom like this.