As others see us

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by seagull, Sep 1, 2013.

1. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's interesting to see postings from our brothers and sisters across the Pond. I've been to a service at the Anglican Cathedral in Toronto and to two Episcopalian services, and enjoyed them. People seemed in good heart. But I have to say that some of the vibes here from the USA don't quite indicate this, for reasons I'm aware of.

Anyhow, I wondered what members of other Anglican churches thought of the Church of England? Here it's a bit of an Aunt Sally (do you use that expression?) and the subject of hostility in certain parts of the media, but generally still regarded with a degree of affection. The "new Atheists" are mildly contemptuous, and are more antagonistic to the RC Church.

2. Cable

Cable New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm a huge fan of the Church of England. I regret that I have not yet had the opportunity to visit England. If and when I do, I would eagerly look forward to worshiping in a CoE parish.

No, we don't use "Aunt Sally." I had to look it up. :D

I'm in the Episcopal Church, and I'm in a good parish with a good bishop. Our parish holds the CoE in high regard, as do I.

3. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Many thanks.

When you come to England you'll find a great variety of CofE churches, from the very high to the evangelical. Ours is quite high ("catholic"). We occasionally go way at weekends and visit the local church/cathedral and enjoy the differences.

When you talk to RCs one thing they say, sometimes with pride (fair enough) is that wherever/whenever you go to a RC mass "it's the same". I don't know if that is 100% true, but it certainly would not apply to the CofE.

Cable likes this.
  4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I have the greatest admiration for the CofE