Anglo Catholic

Discussion in 'Church Strands (Anglo-catholics & Evangelicals)' started by Angelica, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Angelica

Angelica New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Finding a church
    What is the difference between Anglo Catholics and Protestants/Evangelical Anglicans? What are their different beliefs?

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I think a great way to learn the differences is to read the tracts for the times (especially tract 90) and then go check out the church society website.

3. Cable

Cable New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Would it make sense if I said that the beliefs are mostly the same, but what they believe about those beliefs differs? :D Maybe that's not exactly true in every case. It's complicated.

Anglo Catholics are generally more open to ritual and ceremony, and emphasize the Anglican continuity with the Early Church (and the fact that the Church in England existed since very ancient times). Evangelical Anglicans are generally more interested in the Reformational elements of Anglicanism, emphasizing our solidarity with those Reformers who helped to clean up medieval excesses in the Church. In theory, due to lex orandi, lex credendi, the Book of Common Prayer reflects our common belief. Anglo Catholics are sometimes accused of exceeding Anglican bounds, and Evangelicals are sometimes accused of abandoning too much Catholic heritage. Generally speaking, there's room for all of us in the Anglican churches. I firmly believe that we do have boundaries. I just think that these two factions definitely exist within them.

Cooper, Lux Christi and seagull like this.