Are Anglicans Protestant?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Jay83, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Well, like Anglicanism, Lutheranism is an odd thing. It really declared itself different by changing its beliefs completely and into sola fide and sola scriptura, both I find absolutely not in accordance with my personal Anglican faith. We share common things, such as the Sacraments, Liturgy, and a similar theology. We don't base our Church on the teachings of any one particular reformer or saint, but Lutherans are centred on Martin Luther's teachings and theology.

Another note: i have read some older Anglican books where they have taught that the Anglican Communion is an expression of some One-True-Church-ism (something I actually came to the Anglican Church as a refugee from that Roman exclusivism), and it would be sinful to become either a 'Papist [Roman Catholic] or a Dissenter and Heretic [basically the rest of Protestantism]'. XD

In a Catechism "Why I Am An Anglican" made for teaching the Cree Nation (of which is veritably dumbed down... I blame the incompetent English teachers rather than some fairytale innate biological trait of the 'savages' to learn), there is a little blurb in how they wanted to teach Anglicanism to the peoples as unique from the rest of Christendom. Too bad there is no date! Here is an excerpt:

(Those bloody schismatics: the Presbyterians, the United Church, Baptists and Pentecostals have left the Christian Church! XD And while the Roman Catholic religion has the true Faith, it has been sullied by the dross of the Papists! Only the Anglican Communion has kept the teachings of Christ and the Church!)

So even back then, the Anglican Church of Canada did not really see itself in line with the the Mainline Protestant denominations, nor with the Roman Catholic one, but as its own entity.

2. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Well, yes, you're right. And even though I'm a liberal catholic I have to admit that it seems that the evangelical parishes in the CofE are doing better than the others.

3. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I consider the Magisterial Reformers "heretics" -- persecuting and killing other Christians in the name of Christ.

historyb likes this.
  4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Please note that statements like this are not in conformity with section II.1 of the Terms of Service. Be advised.

5. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Anglicanism is probably not the religion for you. I would consider some form of Anabaptism.

Old Christendom likes this.
  6. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Very well. But what term(s) would you apply to such? Murderers? "professors" but not "possessors"? Other?

Further, why is it acceptable here to call Anabaptists heretics but not other "Christians" such as those who killed others for Jesus?

7. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    That is funny, I mean seeing that I am an episcopal member of the AMiA. But I appreciate the suggestion.

I wonder what you would consider this fellow?
    http://anabaptistanglican.blogspot.com/
    http://anabaptistanglican.blogspot.com/2007/07/what-does-anabaptism-have-to-do-with.html

On deeper investigation, I believe you might find that Anglicans and Anabaptists have more in common that one might initially think.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Simply because this forum is for Anglicans and not the Anabaptists.

The Hackney Hub likes this.
  9. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    What is the AMiA?

PS The only truly "Celtic Christian" Church I know is the Church in Wales, which has Welsh (as well as English) services of all descriptions including ordination. The Welsh-speaking Rowan Williams was Archbishop of Wales. And a fine Church it is.

Lux Christi likes this.
  10. Adrian

Adrian New Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    The other Celtic regions of the British Isles also have links with the ancient Celtic Church. The Brythonic Celts (Welsh, Cornish and Breton) share many Saints in common due to their missionary zeal. For example, St Samson was born in Wales, studied in Ireland and later travelled to Cornwall and Brittany where he established monastic enclosures.This was a common pattern.

The Anglican Province of The Church in Wales and the Church of England Diocese of Truro emphasize their links with the ancient Celtic Church partly to distance themselves from Rome by claiming that the early British Church was independent. Perhaps ironically, the RC Church in Brittany also plays on its Celtic past although they don't see the ancient Celtic Church as a separate entity but rather a regional variation of the CC.

Personally I don't see any of these as truly embracing the nature of the early Celtic Church.

Lux Christi, seagull and Lowly Layman like this.
  11. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    You should re-read Articles XVI, XIX, XXI, XXIII, XXXVII, XXXVIII and XXXIX which directly contradict essential points of Anabaptist teaching. Not to mention to denial of Anabaptistic memorialistic theology in Articles XXV, XXVII, XVIII and XXIX.

12. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    I am impressed by your roman numeral writing.

13. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    The Church of England is historically Reformed, that is, Protestant.

However, there is a growing Anglo-catholic party that came into existence in the 19th century and that has found acceptance within the broad church today, among with other deviations, given that the Anglican church herself no longer enforces her own doctrinal standards. Basically, anything goes. And this will prove to be ruinous, as we can already see.

The Hackney Hub and Mercy like this.
  14. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Church of England is both catholic and Protestant. It is also a broad church. The basics, in my opinion, are contained in the Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral.

I for one cannot "already see" how "this will prove ruinous". But then I'm a happy, church-going (and easy going) Anglican, of the liberal catholic persuasion. And there are very many like me.

15. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    Against the errors of Rome, to be Protestant is to be catholic. In this we should all agree. The Church of England is Protestant and Reformed.

The doctrinal standards of the Church of England are the 39 articles, the BCP and the homilies, none of which are enforced in any real way in nowaday's "broad church."

Mercy and The Hackney Hub like this.
  16. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Meanwhile, across the sea, the Church of Ireland describes itself as "both Protestant and Catholic. For this reason it is incorrect to refer to members of the CofI as 'non-Catholic'. The terms Protestant and Catholic are not really opposites".

The CofI is Catholic because it is in possession of a continuous tradition of faith and practices based on the Scriptures and enshrined in the Catholic Creeds, together with the sacraments and the apostolic ministry. It is Protestant because it "affirms its constant witness against all those innovations in doctrine and worship, whereby the Primitive Faith hath been from time to time defaced or overlaid".

17. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    I believe that Protestants are true catholics.

I'm not sure we're disagreeing here.

Mercy and Lowly Layman like this.
  18. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It was reformed, not Reformed. A big difference. It had no interest whatsoever in the teachings of Calvin or Bullinger. Calvin actually asked to come to England to help with the Prayerbook, and his offer was refused. On the other hand our formularies were written in close contact with Melanchthon and the Augsburg Confession. We have had a tremendous amount of common theology with Lutherans.

19. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Anglicanism explicitly condemns Lutheranism in Articles 28 and 29. It was (and is) Reformed both legally and theologically.

20. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    "Explicitly"? I don't remember the Lutherans even being mentioned in the Articles.