Status of ACNA and Anglican Communion

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Justin Haskins, May 24, 2013.

1. Justin Haskins

Justin Haskins Active Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    I agree that it is a well-written and well articulated analysis of the event. Thanks for sharing!

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I disagree on what Welby said but what exactly is your point? Are we supposed to treat Welby like a Pope? Not even the Roman Catholics treat the Pope as you would treat Welby; while they listen to the Popes they certainly don't feel compelled to construct theology out of every word that comes out of his mouth, so why do you claim that we must? As soon as he says something wrong we are supposed to split away?

What Welby says is important, utterly vital, but not binding, so unless the Church of England doctrinally endorses homosexuality -- and that means not just Archbishop Welby but the whole Synod -- any separation from them is a schism, and a sin. We don't split into a thousand pieces, we give the pride of honor and unity to the Church that gave us our identity. Our job is to honor her to the last.

3. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    Again, Welby did NOT endorse a doctrine at all. In fact, he spent a great deal of time talking about why homosexual marriage is bad for society as well. A full reading of the remarks is important here. Even if he was endorsing it, he was only doing so secularly, not doctrinally.

Stalwart likes this.
  4. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I agree. Celtic is a good guy but I feel like he's justifying schism. Welby from what we have seen so far is a very good and orthodox bishop. Not ideal but light-years ahead of Rowan.

5. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    If an Anglican supports keeping marriage between a man and a woman, Welby is a better choice than many could have reasonably expected.

Stalwart likes this.
  6. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    See first answer in red within your post.

Just sit back and watch. The only faithful Anglicans are those of the Global South, Africa, and groups like ACNA and AMiA.

7. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Welby's comment that homosexual unions "strengthen us all" reminds me of what the apostate bishop of Mississippi said about such: that they can be "vehicles of grace".

I hate to see it happening, but it is happening -- creeping apostasy. And TEC is already gone, as is PCUSA and ELCA.

8. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You mean those that even Rowan listened to when he refused to endorse homosexuality in spite of strong local pressures? And it was the same Rowan who gave partial recognition to ACNA in opposition to the vastly powerful TEC's interest? All done by Rowan, whom Welby is acknowledged by all to be stronger and better than? That is the Archbishop Welby you're so quick to blacken?

I suppose the author is a psychic who has amazing insight into brainwaves, that the rest of us do not.

This is the kind of hopeless and faithless wailing that an orthodox Christian is not allowed to have. If you have a gospel to share with me that there is no hope and no sense in trying, then I don't want to have anything to do with you. Sorry.

9. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian

I'm not "blackening" Welby. I am agreeing with the AAC that some of his comments are troubling, to say the least.

You apparently have more faith that the CoE will withstand the pressures of secularism, hedonism, the homosexual lobby, and apostasy than I do. I do hope you are right and that I am wrong. But I've seen what has happened gradually in the TEC over the last decade or two, and I am not encouraged. It seems the CoE is on the same path.

10. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    I actually agree with Stalwart on the issue of Welby but agree with Celtic that, eventually, the CofE is likely to succumb to political correctness on a large number of issues.

11. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    Dr Williams is obviously not a favourite of many here. Very well. But you should know that he was much loved and admired in his own church. Listen to some of the speeches on this link:

http://rowanwilliams.archbishopofca...od-bids-farewell-to-archbishop-rowan-williams

Lux Christi and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Lux Christi likes this.
  13. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    The Archbishop Emeritus of Canterbury, His Grace Rowan Williams, will always be favoured with me! And I certainly hope so through the rest of my life!

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    In many ways, I think Williams was the victim of circumstances he really couldn't control. From what I know of him (which is admittedly somewhat limited), I like him as well.

Lux Christi and The Dark Knight like this.