Hi Guys!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ApostolicChristian, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ApostolicChristian

ApostolicChristian New Member

England
    Religion:
    RC (Currently)
    Hi everybody, I hope you are all well!

Just posting this message to say Hello to everyone and to introduce myself.

My name is Dean, i'm 19 years old and i'm from Birmingham, England.
    I was baptised, raised and Confirmed in the Catholic Church, attended Catholic Primary schools and attended Church every week. Up until now I have identified as a Catholic, but it's got to the point where I am searching for an alternative Church. I can't bring myself to believe in Papal Infallibility and Supremacy, I don't believe in celibate and Male only clergy, I don't agree with venerating the Virgin Mary as much as Catholics do (but I do hold her in very high regard and I do ask her for her prayers, but nowhere near as much as ordinary Catholics), having read the 39 Articles, there isn't anything I didn't really disagree with, I want a Church where I can believe differently to the person next to me in the pew without fear of being called a heretic or a blasphemer or simply wrong and risk excommunication.

I've researched Anglicanism a lot, and I think I want to take the next step. One of the things that was attractive to me, as a gay man, was the acceptance and love and warmth shown by the Church leaders and the members of the Church. Obviously I know there are many different opinions, but even those in the church who disagree with homosexuality are capable of showing kindness and being non judgemental. In the Catholic Church there are those who are fine and loving and accepting, but i've found a whole lot more hostility from the Church, it's clergy and followers alike.

I believe the Anglican Church is the Church that best embodies the commandment of "Love thy neighbour" and "Love thy enemy". I don't know how to explain it, but I feel so welcome and valued in the Church of England and the wider Anglican communion. It feels to me like a Church that is actually concerned about our welfare and has more practical solutions for them.

At the moment, I don't know what Church Tradition i'd fit. I love the smells and Bells of Anglo-Catholicism, but I also love the emphasis on Holy Scripture in the Low Church Tradition. Maybe i'm Broad Church, a mix of the two.

If I did formally convert to Anglicanism, what would I have to do?

Anyway, that's enough about me! I hope everybody is well and God bless!

Old Christendom likes this.
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi Dean, I am afraid to tell you that we too have the rite of excommunication and we do hold to heresies as a valid and important description of errors that lead men into damnation. Also while homosexuality is tolerated it must be celibate. So if you are prepared to live a celibate lifestyle and if you accept historic Anglican doctrines then I am sure you will be very welcomed in your parish. As for converting, approach your rector and he will tell you what to do.

3. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Welcome! I know many gay Christians, and a very few gay Anglicans. Some Anglicans that are gay that I know of have been legally and ecclesially married for many happy years! I consider myself an ally for the cause!

I think the first step for you is to find a parish that will accept you for who you are, and I mean, absolutely, in toto. The second, is to get to know the congregation, learn about how to practice Anglicanism both in its Tradition (the Divine Liturgy, the Daily Office, etc.) and in Scripture (how Anglicans think and practice Scripture). Because you have been baptised and confirmed in an Apostolic Church, you are free to receive all the Sacraments in the Anglican Church. However, (and this is especially if you wish to pursue Holy Orders), you may want to be 'received' formally into the Anglican Communion, of which a talk with your vicar at your parish home will clarify.

I myself, having been baptised and confirmed, born and raised Roman Catholic, am hoping to be formally received (i.e. Reception into the Anglican Church) by next Easter!

I consider myself Anglo-Catholic, knowing that my Anglo-Catholic parish sees the Eucharist as seriously as I do. I know well that I can develop my love for Christ in the Blessed Sacrament within the Anglican fold!

ApostolicChristian likes this.
  4. ApostolicChristian

ApostolicChristian New Member

England
    Religion:
    RC (Currently)
    Hi Stalwart, I am aware that the Anglican Church has the right to excommunicate, however, they do not hand out excommunications as if they were sweets. In the Roman Church you can be excommunicated for far less than what one would be excommunicated for in Anglicanism. Anglicanism allows for different views of opinion, albeit as long as they aren't heretical. The Roman Church excommunicates for things such as abortion, Divorce and stuff like that. I do agree that they are grave matters, however I believe in forgiveness and not casting people aside.

As to Homosexuality and celibacy, I think it entirely depends what kind of Church you are in, your Priest and congregation. Different people have different opinions. Nowhere is this more evident than in Anglicanism. You have Anglicans that believe homosexuality is not sinful, and some who do. The Anglican Church in some countries has openly Gay Bishops, as i'm more than confident you are aware of.

Thank you for your reply!

Thank you for the Welcome Lux Christi! It's great to see a member of the Church supporting us! This makes me feel so happy and welcome!

Thank you so much for all the information you've given to me, and it's great to see another Roman Catholic who is also taking the jump! I hope you are received by next easter. I will try my best to find a parish who will accept me for who I am. I have been emailing a lot of Parishes in my Local area and there have been so many welcoming replies. So I will deffo get round to checking them out.
    I'm glad that as a Catholic I am allowed to receive the Eucharist in the Anglican Church. I was worried about having to go through so much before getting to that point. I think eventually I too would like to be received formally, just to make it official and because I do feel a call to Holy Orders, however that is quite a way off!