What am I getting myself into?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by seeking.IAM, May 29, 2013.

1. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Yesterday, a member of my parish called to inquire if I would accept nomination to my church's vestry. I am a fairly new convert to The Episcopal Church, and don't quite know what all to expect. Formerly, I served on my United Methodist Church's Administrative Council and its Staff/Parish Committee. Thereafter, I swore off involvement in church governance...until now anyway.

Frankly, I know nothing about the politics at work in my church, any stewing differences, tensions, or factionalism. I have come to prefer it that way, but I presume that might all be about to be spoiled.

So, if I say "yes" and am (un)fortunate enough to be elected, what is it that I should come to expect? What have I gotten myself into? :think:

anglican74 and Symphorian like this.
  2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I had to run this through the Universal Anglican Translator and its equivalent came out as the Parish Church Council meeting in the Church of England. You have my heartfelt commiserations although it does have its lighter moments.

My best piece of advice is to avoid drinking the nondescript brown fluid served at such meetings amusingly referred to as Anglican Coffeeâ„¢ . However, it's useful to know that this 'coffee' can be used to give a lovely shine to tarnished organ pipes or church silver and in an emergency can even be used to clear blocked drains.

Anyway, here's a typical meeting on this side of the Pond:

seeking.IAM likes this.
  3. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    That was great! Pretty much what I am expecting. :)

4. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Good luck, and may the Lord be with you!

5. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Gosh, I do NOT want to be on any rota or church committee or whatever! They just seem so difficult when it comes to consulting with others who are completely different than you.

6. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

If you do, and if your parish ever decides to leave for ACNA, be sure to resign before the vote happens. TEC holds vestries responsible.

7. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    What about a treasurer or similar position that is in leadership but not strictly part of vestry?

8. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    All the best in your new adventure if you do intend to go onto the Parish Council.

9. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I am sure you'll do great seeking!