Babies without Baptism?

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by UK Anglican, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I would say that faith is the means into the New Covenant, of which baptism is the sign. The two Covenants had different bases for membership. There was a nationalist element in the Old which was absent in the New.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    I would disagree, I believe Baptism is essential not just a sign. That is why we can't really say one way or the other how God would handle things, maybe like the thief God sees that Babies would have Baptism by desire.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. feverforever

feverforever New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Yet to find a parish...
    Not to bring up an older thread, but I believe that babies who have just been born do not get sent to hell as they are innocent. My mother, a Roman Catholic, also said this. I also believe that those who were mostly good and regretted all the sins they did (or confessed them) still got to hell, but not for death. They are still granted eternal life, but not in heaven in the warmth and love of God with all the "good stuff".

Although I was Pagan for two years and Buddhist for one year, I've always believed this.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    What about original sin, feverforever? We are born in sin, unfortunately that is the natural state of man (needing redemption).

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Some would say that since babies who die prior to baptism did not have an opportunity to affirmatively reject Christ, they are not condemned, using the formula in John 3 as their basis. Christ paid the penalty on the cross for sin, including original sin, it is by grace that we are saved not lack of sin.

Joan Lucia-Treese, Celtic1 and Gordon like this.