The Passion Of The Christ Movie

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Jay83, May 17, 2013.

1. Jay83

Jay83 New Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Just wondered if anyone on here has seen the movie and what their thoughts were on it?

The reason I'm asking this question is because I have been learning about the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ on my Christianity lessons and thought the film would be a good way to understand what Jesus went through.

It is on Sky Movies on Monday night.

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I love it and admire the genius in Mel Gibson for making it. I think we forget what an impact that movie had on society, how many people turned themselves in for crimes they had long since gotten away with. It was a harsh testimony, but certainly a powerful one. I was quite surprised and somewhat disappointed when my brother, a holiness Pentecostal preacher, said it was disgusting and walked out of the theater. My feeling is, if our lord could go through it, then I can at least watch a description of it....but then, my favorite religious artwork is the La Pieta.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think it was artistically impressive, high technical quality...and ultra-violent. Parts of it can be very hard to watch, and I didn't especially enjoy it. Most of my Christian friends liked it. It does portray the Crucifixion narrative accurately (as I recall). If you've seen Gibson's Apocalypto, that's a good measuring stick for the intensity of this movie.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    I seen it in the theater and when it was over no one spoke on the way out of the theater, I have never experienced anything like it at the movies. I had a hard time not bawling through parts of it

Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. luke

luke Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    I watch it again every "good Friday" to remind me of the pain and suffering Jesus went through. I think it is well made and find the violence of it necessary to telling this story. I think it well worth a watch.

Fidei Defensor and Lowly Layman like this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I do too Luke. It makes a great devotion.

7. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    My church's Youth Group watched it last year. I'm glad I saw it, and think every Christian should at least once in their lives, but I don't want to see it again. It's too intense for me. My dad thinks it portrays the events too violently.

Lowly Layman and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I don't know there is any other way to portray being flogged, abused and nailed to a cross then violently. It brings the reality of our Lords suffering home to the centre of your being and helps us to realise just how much God must love each and every one of us.

Lowly Layman and luke like this.
  9. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    What really got time was the sceen where Mary sees Jesus fall and is reminded of his childhood.

Gordon and Lowly Layman like this.
  10. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I wish they identified Jesus' divinity more. It seemed to take a naturalistic view of Jesus as a good moral teacher who ended up being executed.

11. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I hear what you are saying, but I thought the fact they made him appear so human made the passion more relevant for those who believe he is both human and divine.