Learning since Easter 2013

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Flyingfish, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Flyingfish

Flyingfish New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    In-between
    Hi everyone

I'm a bit of a spiritual seeker, was raised as a child with a tiny bit of Christianity, a dash of New Age and a whole lot of science and technology. No formal religious activities or discussions. In my teens I became extermely interested in religion, started with Christianity but was short lived, switched to Wicca/Neo-Paganism in a variety of forms until my early 20s, then switched to Sikhism. I've been steadily learning and practicing Sikhism for about 5 years but I keep getting hung up on the communal level. I've been attending the local Sikh temple regularly for the last couple of years. Community is essential to Sikhism and is a recurring theme throughout their scripture.

Late last year I took a detour down the atheist path before coming back to Sikhism, but it's still just not fitting right. I'm lonely. Although the people have been really nice and accepting of me something just isn't clicking into place for me. I'm sure it's me, not them. I just don't feel like I fit in. Might be the fact that I've never met another white convert in real life (only on the internet) and I can't seem to find opportunities to discuss and experience the faith in a group... I'm always an observer. Language barrier doesn't help but thats my failing for not making more effort to learn it.

Anyway, my Roman Catholic friend asked me to go to church with her for Easter Sunday, and it felt greatly different to the Sikh temple. So I started reading up about Catholicism and Christianity and have just started reading my Bible (I've read 1 and 2 Corinthians and I'm about half way through Luke). From what I've learned so far I think I'm tending towards the Anglican or Roman Catholic church.

So yeah, I'm just here to observe and learn, ask questions and explore faith. I'm ever hopeful of finding something I can settle into.

:)

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello and welcome!!!

Flyingfish and Lowly Layman like this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Flyingfish! I look forward to hearing your unique perspective. Thanks for joining. God bless your time here.

Flyingfish likes this.
  4. luke

luke Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Welcome to the forums, its good to see another Australian looking for God, it appears to be a desire we have lost as a society.

I returned to Christ after years of having faith in only science and evolution but eventually rediscovered the LOVE of Christ once attending a few Anglican services( before getting married) . I even debated switching back to Catholic, as its was the church of my Grandparents but after doing some research. i personally didn't believe some of there doctrines and found Anglicism was a better suit for me ( your Journey may lead you the other way, and that's ok).

I look forward to helping you on your journey and if you have any questions ( no matter how silly you may think they are) feel free to ask them .

Flyingfish likes this.
  5. Flyingfish

Flyingfish New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    In-between
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I look forward to spending time here.

Luke, I did start reading about Roman Catholicism (when I thought there was only one type of Catholic haha!) but quickly found myself drawn to the Anglican church. I've only been reading for a few weeks though so really I've only just got my toe in the kiddy pool right now. I've never been to an Anglican church, in fact, I can count the times I've been to any church on one hand. Don't even get me started on high church, low church, somewhere in the middle church yet hehe.

6. Mercy

Mercy Member

Welcome, Flyingfish!
    I'm a Traditional Roman Catholic interested in Anglicanism, and there are a number of former Catholics here on the forum. :)

Servos and Flyingfish like this.
  7. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Welcome aboard I am an Australian as well, living in Brisbane.

Servos and Flyingfish like this.
  8. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome to the forums. I got into paganism for a while as a teenager and you will find things different on here :) , glad your reading your bible, are you enjoying what your reading? I would recommend, if your interested in Anglicanism, in looking at a book of common prayer, that will give you some of the basics of the faith such as the 39 articles.

Don't worry about the low, middle and high parts yet or any of the other things such as evangelical, anglo-catholic, etc concentrate on the basics and that will give you a general idea about all areas of the church before you commit to any one part of it (if you do, some people are a mixture of lots of parts):).

I would recommend also that you find a local Anglican church where you feel comfortable then, if you want, you have a vicar/rector to talk to as well.:) then you can decide if it's for you once you have had a taste of the services etc

Hope you enjoy spending time here and feel free to ask any questions.

Flyingfish likes this.
  9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I agree, concentrate on the formularies

Flyingfish likes this.
  10. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    Welcome

Flyingfish likes this.