BCP and Personal use

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by UK Anglican, Mar 30, 2013.

1. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    How many people here use the Book of Common Prayer (any edition) for private home worship and do you find it helpful?

Scottish Monk likes this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Sister in Christ, I use the BCP 1552 for Morning Prayer, the Great Litany, and Evening Prayer. Just change the personal pronouns from "we" to "I", if you wish, and it goes very smoothly.

3. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I use the (Proposed) 1928 version for Morning/Evening Prayer, Prime or Compline but not exclusively. Most days I pray just one office and use whatever is appropriate for the time of day.

I prefer the daily and seasonal variety found in Daily Prayer from Common Worship.

4. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have a copy I go to for inspiration from time to time, especially for days when I feel tired and not in the mood to pray. Having that structure there can be helpful I've found

5. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    I have been looking into the Portuguese prayerbook of the Lusitanian Church which is based on the BCP. The Lusitanian Church is part of the Anglican Communion. I'm thinking about incorporating some of those into my private prayer life.

6. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I use the 1928 (American) BCP in private (and public) prayer. Sometimes I use the 1662 BCP as well.

7. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Why the 1552, out of curiosity?

8. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    How does the Portuguese BCP compare to other English-speaking editions? I really liked the Spanish Offices in the IERE.

9. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Practical necessity. Every reasonably-priced 1662 I could find that was also "pew missal"-quality had the shortened 1871 lectionary & kalendar. Wanting an "authentic" lectionary with full chapter-readings, I found a book with the full 1549 & 1552 services & kalendar. It also has the English of the day ("euenynge", "saluacion", etc.), which is good for an antiquarian like me. :)

Also, I suppose I like the "reformed" quality of the 1552 and its history. In the end, however, all one really must do to make the 1552 Morning & Evening offices into the 1662 offices is to add the prayers for the monarch, royal family, clergy, Chrysostom's prayer, and 1 Cor. 14:13 - which I have inserted into the book, effectively making it 1662.

10. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    I can't really say because I'm not familiarised with the Portuguese BCP. The church I attend is English-speaking.

Be it as it may, I'll try to look into it.

11. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    The Church I go to uses the 1928 BCP (shortened version) or Common Worship depending on the service or who is taking the service.

I have brought myself a copy of the 1662 BCP for use at home. I wondered what other people used and I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting to use something like this at home, in the church I go to it is very rare to find someone who even owns a prayerbook let alone uses one for prayer, some people I notice don't seem to understand why it should be used where possible, at least it feels like that based on where I live.

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  12. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    I have the 1979 BCP got it from the library sale for 25 cents and use it, my church also uses the same BCP.

13. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I use the Prayer Book for Australia for personal prayer, but we also have the SSF Daily Office (Franciscan) prayer book we use every day. The BCP is rich and beautiful book with heaps of really good liturgy in it for all occasions.

14. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I use the 1979 BCP for the daily office. I use the 1979 BCP at the TEC I am currently attending.

I also have copies of the 1549 (digital), 1559, 1662, 1928 (American), and 1929 Scottish BCPs.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. padreegan

padreegan Member

USA
    Religion:
    Reformation Episcopalian
    I use both the 1928 and 1979 BCP for private devotions. Usually, I will use the 79 if I am praying with my family.

16. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I think prayer is such an important part of the christian lifestyle, praying at home as a family is important and it's something I hope to do with my own when I marry.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. luke

luke Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Ok, so what the issue with all the different versions of BCP (1559, 1662, 1928, 1979)?
    Is it just people prefer the older style of English or is there other changes involved within the revisions???

I have just started to incorporate the evening prayer into my nightly routine ( via church of England website) and have been alternating between the BCP version and the CW version. The CW version is very similar to the "Prayer Book for Australia" i borrowed from church so it is my personal preference but still read BCP one or twice a week.

I mean no disrespect to other peoples prayer life but am curios what is so good about these OLD versions???? I feel like i am missing out on something here:think:

Its good to hear this, i thought maybe i was doing it wrong:p

The Dark Knight and Gordon like this.
  18. Prayerbook Catholik

Prayerbook Catholik New Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I use the 1979 BCP, but prefer the 1928. No matter what "wing" or "party" you belong to, I think it is a great that each day we are still praying the same prayers. Same for holy communion.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are some theological emphases that differ among the various BCPs. The differences can be a result of a province's dominant theology - adding prayers for the dead, for example.

I use the 1979 BCP for the Daily Office. My parish is a Rite I parish, though it still offers a 1928 service as well. I own a 1928 (because of its importance for American Anglicans) and a 1662 (since it is basically the standard), but the 1979 has been perfect for my own devotional life.

20. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

For personal use, I use the 1928 PrayerBook graciously given to me by an APA parish I visited for a while. I like doing the short form morning and evening family prayer with my kids when we read the bible together but I went through and changed the thees and thous and -eths to modern versions so it was more meaningful for them... I also own a 1979 BCP and use it occasionally.