The New Archbishop in England?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Jeff F, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I do like the fact that his first official sermon ended thus:

Jeff F and Scottish Monk like this.
  2. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYo7zWixe4w

He was interviewed on "songs of praise" last Sunday. After watching his testimony about the death of his daughter I found it genuinely moving (see link) And on national TV too :)

Incense likes this.
  3. Incense

Incense Active Member

Wow that was moving indeed! Thanks for sharing this SK!

But I have to say I was a wee bit surprised he was married :blush: (we do have married priests in my Church but not bishops and such)

Toma and Scottish Knight like this.
  4. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    I'm trying to remember the last Archbishop of Canterbury who was not married. All of them in my lifetime married, I think. Would I be right in thinking Cosmo Gordon Lang?

5. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That seems to be correct. :) Not sure about William Temple.

Sometimes I think it'd be nice to see an A.B.C. who gave it all entirely to the Church from day one - never marrying nor having mistresses nor children. That'd be nice! Not to undercut or write-off the just-enthroned Archbishop, of course... ;)

6. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    Apparently Temple II was married – but I must admit I overlooked him, which is unforgivable. Impressive man. Just before my time – I can remember Geoffrey Fisher at the Coronation, but Wm Temple left this earth about the time I stumbled in through the door.

7. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Many Apostles were married as far as I can remember and even Paul, in his first epistle to Timothy, says that a bishop should have only one wife. I believe marriage should be the normal status of all of the ordained.

That being said, celibacy can be pursued for those souls called to it, whether clerics or laymen. But whenever celibacy was made a requirement for holy orders, it was a step in the wrong direction.

Mercy likes this.
  8. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I propose that we all refrain from posting about this (and other controversies) during this Holy and Solemn commemoration of the Lord's Passion and Death for us sinners. Let us keep silence, for we are united under the Cross today.

Pray for the Archbishop, wherever you are.

Pax_Christi likes this.
  9. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    He is Evangelical but he has commented on the fact that he has no objection to women vicars, haven't heard about what he thinks about women bishops though.

He doesn't agree with Gay marriage but he admitted on a recent television interview for the news that he is expecting his new role to be Challenging, in including everyone he said recently on a programme we have over here called 'songs of praise' that he aknowledges that he will make mistakes and that he won't please everyone all the time, that he can only do the best he can with god's help.

I think it's safe to say that times ahead will be interesting, weather for good or bad will be depending on each individuals personal views,

10. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
  11. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
  12. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    He makes very valid points, and addresses a mindset within Rome and some Anglicans.........those of us hoping for a strong conservative to purge the dross from the church!:)

Jeff