The New Archbishop in England?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Jeff F, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    The paragraph below was part of an article that appeared in the Acts 8 Movement page, and it intimated a strong link between Welby and the HTB. For our brothers across the pond, what are your feelings on this association, and do you think it will influence the CoE in any way?

Jeff

"What holds HTB together is not a common doctrine or agenda but manners and style – and the worshippers' eagerness to get out of their minds. It was one of the first churches in England to embrace charismatic practices – constant prayer, the lively expectation of miracles, talking in tongues, and even the ecstatic outbursts of laughter, fainting, and animal noises known as the "Toronto Blessing". This would be odd in any context. And it has changed Christianity in England profoundly."

2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I wonder how accurate Welby is in saying that Christianity in England has been profoundly changed by Holy Trinity Brompton...

That's quite a burden of responsibility, if it's true. Must learn more... :) but "animal noises"? Seriously?

3. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    I'm sorry for not making my post clear, the comments were made by the interviewer and not Archbishop Welby. My apologies.

Jeff

Toma likes this.
  4. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
  5. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Isn't Abp. Welby a liberal of some sorts?

Toma likes this.
  6. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    "At 3pm amid African dancers and to the strains of Punjabi music, Justin Portal Welby was formally enthroned as the 105th archbishop of Canterbury and leader of the world's 77 million Anglicans.
    The service drew on hundreds of years of ecclesiastical tradition, but the proceedings differed in one key respect: for the first time in the Church of England's history, its head was enthroned by a woman.

The Venerable Sheila Watson, archdeacon of Canterbury, took a central role in the ceremony, which marks the beginning of Welby's public ministry."

Definitely a liberal of 'some sorts'.

Edited for language.
    -admin

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    He's different. I don't think we really know what he's all about. If he's liberal or charismatic or whatever, I still will respect him because of the office.

Scottish Monk and Jeff F like this.
  8. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Agreed brother. The article seemed to intimate that he is conservative on sexuality issues, but open to women's leadership roles. The whole "charismatic Anglican" thing is somewhat new to me, but here in America it usually meant a departure from historic doctrine, although I acknowledge it isn't always the case.

Jeff

Toma likes this.
  9. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Did you all see the archbishop's throning yesterday?

Maybe admin can put up some of the images on the news top thingy with the Queens jubilee etc :)

Scottish Monk, Incense and Admin like this.
  10. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Good idea. Added!

The rest of your comment has been removed. Let this be a good moment to remind everyone that while criticism can be acceptable, disrespectful remarks towards the Archbishop of Canterbury will not tolerated on this board.

Scottish Monk, Toma and maci75 like this.
  11. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Certainly something to add to the suffrages and supplications on Good Friday.
    You are correct. Please forgive me. May God forgive me and any sinners who speak rashly against this man in his difficult office.

12. Incense

Incense Active Member

The video was so nice to watch!

Scottish Monk likes this.
  13. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Video has been updated to a higher resolution.

Scottish Monk and Incense like this.
  14. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
  15. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I pray that the Archbishop is a strong man who does what's necessary to reform and restore the shine on the church.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  16. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    Support for the ordination of women bishops is mainstream in the Church of England rather than "liberal" – unless is meant Liberal in the Broad Church sense. Anyway, Welby is apparently not Broad Church but Open Evangelical: there is much support for women bishops among Open Evangelicals. So: an Evangelical with something of a charismatic background, who is a Benedictine oblate, and whose spiritual director is a Roman Catholic monk. You may find he doesn't pigeonhole as neatly as you might prefer. I don't share his beliefs, but it is not easy to avoid admiring a man who gave up a very lucrative job to train as a priest, who has risen rapidly through the strength of his ministry, and who put his life on the line in missions to reconcile warring groups in Africa – coming close to losing it on more than one occasion. Judge him as you will; I am pretty sure at any rate that he is a better man than I am.

Scottish Monk and Toma like this.
  17. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    All true, laudable, and commendable - but that doesn't change the fact that he supports something utterly erroneous. Let us look to Maximos the Confessor as an inspiration: no matter how virtuous, holy, or humble any one bishop is, if he does not uphold the Apostolic Faith we have no communion with him. Of course, it's hard to be an Anglican if that's the case... :p

So, let us pray.

18. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    I've watched several interviews where Archbishop Welby clearly stated that the church would not accept gay marriage. This is such a comforting thing to hear, and I wonder what the fallout in America will be? Would he ever break communion with the ECUSA or pressure them to reverse their decision?

Jeff

19. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That'd be something else! :) If he both rejects gay marriage and brings ACNA into communion, TECUSA will probably not be too happy. I'm not sure if America would ever actually break from England on account of this Primate - they're interested in bureaucratic unity, after a fashion, with their endless codes and canons and synods.

20. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am optimistic about the new Archbishop.

[​IMG]

Incense and Toma like this.