Goodbye ACNA --> Hello TEC

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Scottish Monk, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I came across this on a blog that sums it all up:
    [​IMG]

CatholicAnglican, Stalwart and Toma like this.
  2. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes, and all this has happened in only 35 years, since the schisms began. Those who disagreed with TEC'S decisions on gender issues left in 70's and in many schisms since. Many so-called conservatives voted for ++Schori and then left because the Church had lost its way.

So-called conservatives bear much of the responsibility for the current condition of Anglicanism in America, within TEC and in their many, many schismatic churches. We rightly crIticize South Carolina and +Lawrence for leaving after 25 years of fighting from within. What about all the rest who left decades ago and continued to leave every time a vote at convention didn't meant with their approval? Would not the Church have been very different if they had stayed and led by example. Does anyone believe that this would have led to smaller more fragmented Church than we have. SHAME ON THEM.

Now we look to the ABC to recognize ACNA and solve our problem of disunity and disrespect of each other. Maybe the ABC will come to the rescue. I think not.

The Hackney Hub likes this.
  3. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I couldn't disagree with you more. That's like blaming healthy cells for being invaded by cancerous cells.

Toma likes this.
  4. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Mark,
    I have mixed emotions regarding your comment. I personaly do feel remorse for leaving back in the early 90's, and I will accept criticism for doing so, but given the ecumenical structure of the ECUSA, unpopular votes among the parishner's were still passed with all of us there as members. Keeping in mind that in 1054, East and West split over the genesis of the Holy Spirit, what would they do now with doctrines that deny the Virgin birth, inspiration of scripture, and the resurrection? Celtic may be right my friend :think:

Jeff+

Stalwart and Toma like this.
  5. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Please state where TEC, as Church, has denied the virgin birth and/or the resurrection. With regard to denying the inspiration of Scripture, this has always been and will always be in the eye of the beholder. All of us believe that we are true to the inspiration of Scripture.

I certainly wish that there were Ecumenical Councils today as there were in the past. The gender issues of our day could be discussed and decided upon. Also doctrinal issues such as OSAS and free will could again be clarified.

TEC has gone astray in dealing with the issue of the definition of marriage, a lesser sacrament. They have ordained unmarried who they knew were having sexual relations outside of marriage. They have chosen NOT to excommunicate heretical bishops, choosing only to kick out those actively rejected their authority. These are serious issues, but not church-busting issues. The reason that we break up churches is twofold. We are Americans and we are Protestant. As Americans, we believe in choice much more than perseverance. If we disagree, we move one. Many of our churches have breakup procedures in their charters. As Protestants, we are founded in schism. It comes naturally. IMHO, Luther and Calvin would never have left the Church if they knew the results.

6. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Mark,
    Obviously there hasn't been a public declaration at general convention, but sin never crept in that boldly in the past history of the ECUSA. Privately question Deacons, Priests and Bishops as to the virgin birth or literal physical resurrection of Christ, and you will be shocked. To deny that this isn't prevailing thought in our leadership is simply wishful thinking at this point. How many years did Bishop Spong go uncensured for his various heretical remarks, including the statement to Time Magazine that "God was dead"?

Jeff

Celtic1 and CatholicAnglican like this.
  7. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    Bishop Spong should've been defrocked a long time ago

8. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    If you think it is possible to affirm the Creeds and yet reject Biblical morality and remain true to the faith, you are sadly mistaken.

That is a false statement. Any who leave scriptural truth and enthrone man-made doctrines are the schismatics. The Reformers didn't leave the church; the only way they could have done that was stop being believers.

Jeff F likes this.
  9. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    The article I posted a few posts back shows that if you are orthodox clergy in TEC, you'd better be careful. There is a war against you, and the gestapo might come for you next. When the fascist presiding bishop starts lawsuits against orthodox Episcopalians and considers orthodox clergy tyrants as she does Bishop Lawrence, that shows the mindset of the far-left cabal.

I think the orthodox have been too passive. I think they should have taken up whips already and drove the money-changers from the temple.

Lowly Layman likes this.