CAF

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Toma, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Does anyone here post on "Catholic Answers Forum"?

There were a few erroneous ideas about Protestantism being thrown around on the "Non-Catholic Religions" sub-forum, so I decided to create an account yesterday to contribute to various topics. I was able to make four neutral posts explaining why reconciliation will be difficult. When I got up today and logged on, the entire forum was empty except for this notice, without warning:

[​IMG]

All my posts were deleted - as well as every post that replied to my posts. I wasn't even a member for twelve hours. They treated my words and the words of their own people as if they had never been posted. Somehow this seems like it couldn't happen on an Anglican forum. Do you think Roman Catholic forum moderators feel a need to perpetuate their own sort of Magisterium on the boards - even going so far as to change history to make sure no one presents anything contrary to, or even explanatory about, non-Roman theology?

The psychology behind this fascinates me. :)

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I've been a member on CAF for a year or so and post there occasionally. I've not had any warnings or posts pulled to date. I once did a lengthy and detailed post upholding the validity of Anglican Orders which ruffled the feathers of some of the RC posters and half expected the post to get pulled but it wasn't.

I think the mods have been getting more vigilant there recently. Having watched the forum for a while I've noticed quite a few accounts on the RC side being suspended too. They do seem to be particularly sensitive on certain subjects.

Toma likes this.
  3. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I used to (as a Catholic) mainly on Eastern Cataholic sub-forum.
    I found that on CAF and Catholic Answers Live stereotypes are often employed when speaking of Protestants -- same can be true of Protestants describing Catholics at times.
    One thing that used to get to me was how the Catechism says one thing but many people believe something else.
    The Mary worshippers also made me nuts (not all Catholics are Mary worshippers).
    I've thought about going back and raising a little heck and evangelize but I'm too busy with other side projects -- like reading the Bible :)

kestrel and Toma like this.
  4. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks for the answers, both of you.

Symphorian, it interests me greatly that "pushing" the validity of our Orders did not phase them previously. Only presently do they ramp up efforts to stamp out anything that might influence their people. Funny that the old mindset of silencing and squelching all dissent of any degree has not survived in the Magisterium itself, but in has stayed on in the hearts of the laity.

Dave, I like to think that we - not being 100% bound by tradition or custom, but by the Word of Truth - are more honest than they. We can get haughty sometimes... but at least we have to conform only, at base, to the Holy Scriptures, and not to endless encyclicals, catechisms, councils, and oppressive canons. It's amusing to me that Protestants are very quickly shut down on CAF these days, even if they aren't particularly belligerent - but those Roman Catholics who make up the most bizarre New Age or non-sense claims are allowed to flourish for years and years. Don't even try to raise a tiny bit of heck - you'll be gone within the hour. :D

5. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    What phased them was pointing out that the supposed defects of the Edwardine Ordinal could also be found in a number of early Ordinals. For example, the Sacramentary of Serapion which was only brought to light after the pronouncement of Apostolicae Curae. Serapion has no mention whatever of any of the Sacraments or of the office of a Priest in its Ordinal prayers. (Sacrificial Priesthood and all that). So, if Anglican Orders are deemed invalid because of perceived defects in the Edwardine form, the same must also be said of Orders in the early Church itself. Who is likely to be a better guide...Serapion, a 4th century Bishop and friend of Athanasius or a 19th century Pope?

Toma likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Consular, I say this out of love, but it may not be so much the substance but the style of your posts that got you banned. In your zeal to prosyletize the lost you have been known to be as subtle as a Mac truck. ;) While I find it somewhat endearing, it may be an acquired taste.

mark1 and Toma like this.
  7. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Well Consular, the wild web opens wide to you, just start something. These days there is no use in trying to stop anybody from sharing the truth. Google will serve it to anybody, any time.

Toma likes this.
  8. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Lowly Layman, I am very well aware that I tend to be like a brick wall, bludgeoning people with my opinions, but that is on this Anglican Forum - a place where Christian liberty of conscience is respected. On CAF I acted with the utmost restraint, posting short posts, trying to maintain a patient style, knowing their mindset; besides, on most forums, four posts is not usually enough for a permanent ban to be issued without warning, even for the most belligerent poster. This unique action of CAF is fascinating.

My pride is not wounded; I was exiled from CAF before under a different name, so this time I wanted to come back to see how the atmosphere was. We can expect no quarter if we actively degree.

Symphorian's information about CAF banning even Roman Catholic members is fascinating as well. It seems our two observations combine to tell us that the Roman world is becoming more strict or intolerant? After all, the Anglican priest of our parish was invited to con-celebrate at a Mass in a Roman parish a few years ago, and Anglicans were allowed to receive at the Mass in this diocese - but in the last few years, that has been put down hard.

Kestrel, it is not something that saddens me for my own prospects of free speech; I am saddened rather for all the people on CAF, the Romans, who are unable to hear what their stereotype'd enemies actually believe, but only drivel & propaganda. It's not good for souls to hear lies.

Thomas Didymus and Lowly Layman like this.
  9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I did not mean to discount your exercise of meritorious restraint. As they say in Rome, "Mea culpa".

Toma likes this.
  10. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Don't worry my brother. :) It's all blood under the Cross, so to speak.

11. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Consular there was a time when, as a teenager, I had to search in the library for some surviving non-Catholic book in the religion shelf which I would bring home hidden in the bottom of my backpack, hoping not to be "caught in the act". Today, there's no way to stop anybody to search for themselves

Toma likes this.
  12. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    By the way, Catholic Answer Forums, explain yourselves or shame on you

13. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    They don't need to explain themselves, don't you know? :p They're the Holy Church, and all else can be silenced! :)

It's very inspiring that you had the tenacity to search and search until you found it, and then smuggled the precious cargo out, back then. May we always have such a mind to study the Truth!

14. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Took a quick browse over there and it is so sad the folks that don't even know their own faith... also the level of scrupulousness amongst the laity (been there done that).

On the other hand there is a sense of security in knowing that there won't be women bishops and property battles nor will there be homosexual priests (at least none that are living a non-celibate open lifestyle)

15. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That is the problem with the works-righteousness which is still the operating principle of the Romans. If only they would consider the fifth chapter of the Epistle sent by St. Paul to their very own ancestors:

...being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

We may commend their inertia in holding to these things from their older days, Dave, but it remains inertia. In the 1950s everyone said that the next Council would define a new Marian Doctrine - Vatican II did not. In the 1960s everyone said that the Rosary and other such devotions (so central to Rome) would never fall away in any place - in seminaries across North America, these were shunned for use by seminarians. In the 1970s, no one believed a Pope could receive a blessing from a Native American shaman, or that he would stand by while an oblation of Goat's milk was poured out to Pacific gods - John Paul II solemnly participated in just these events at the Assisi gathering in 1986. "Trads" on CAF who mention these things are silenced and, if they continue, banned.

Inertia may seem to stand for a lot, but it is only an after-effect. At any rate, there are many priests and bishops in the Roman church who actively campaign for women-clergy and active-gay clergy as well as married clergy. Benedict XVI is a rare one, but after him there are no notable conservatives in the College of Cardinals to be elected. It will be interesting to see where CAF's haughty moderation goes once another Liberal becomes Pope.