The Women's Lectionary

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Shane R, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    An Episcopalian seminary professor has composed her own lectionary in a one and three year cycle that is designed to read the stories of the women in the Bible, preferably with suitable feminist interpretive techniques being employed.

Being unsatisfied with any existing Bible translation, she also opted to make her own translations of the OT readings from Hebrew.

Interestingly, there is another volume hitting the market tomorrow that goes by the same title. It was developed by a Quaker woman.
    The most significant element of each is year 'W', when you really dig into the gritty presentation of feminine power in the Bible. Of course, ample time is given to male oppression of Biblical women.

Stay tuned because I bet one of these two systems will eventually be augmented with a year 'Q'.

Carolinian likes this.
  2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Are you suggesting that we may end up with a 26 year lectionary so we have the whole alphabet covered?

Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't have a four year cycle, with the fourth year focussed on John's Gospel.

3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Nothing like a lectionary with a political agenda. I almost expect TEC to fall for it.

Carolinian likes this.
  4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    All of the progressive Roman Catholic nuns want to adopt it. That's where it's been receiving the most attention.

Carolinian likes this.
  5. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Does not surprise me either. I don't see how the Roman's stay together.

Carolinian likes this.