Money and God? I struggle with earning enough, but also being faithful

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by apologetic, Feb 17, 2017.

1. apologetic

apologetic Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." - Christ Jesus

I'm a charted accountant. I'm 25 and am likely to have children sometime in the next three years. I need to be financially well off in order to pay of my future children's education, (which in Australia for the best education is very expensive, about $30,000 a year). Further still, my parents are very wealthy and when they die I will inherit a considerable fortune. So when I read this part of scripture I am troubled. I want to be able to meet the needs of my future children , to live comfortably, and also serve Christ. I may by no means extravagant with my use of money.

Am I serving two masters? Does God want us to be poor? Are all the rich hellhound?

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    To understand this we just have to look at how it's always been understood, by the doctors, and the fathers, and the reformers of the Church. After all, are we holier than they were? The meaning here revolves around the meaning of the word master. One who works for money, for a salary, or even has an inheritance, does not automatically have money as his master. A master is someone that regulates your highest goals and aspirations, and there are many who possess money that don't make it their highest aspiration. They may have it as their high aspiration but not the highest. That is what Christ wants. If he is their highest aspiration, the rich men will use their money for Christ's sake, and thereby will serve the kingdom of heaven.

apologetic, Lowly Layman and Madeline like this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Consider the following bible passages:
    Proverbs 30:8-9: "give me neither poverty nor riches,but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown youand say, ‘Who is the Lord?’Or I may become poor and steal,and so dishonor the name of my God."

St. Matthew 6:19-21: "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also"

God doesn't want you poor but neither does He want you so consumed with the things He gives that you forget Him. Fear not. God will provide.

Madeline likes this.
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Friend, IMHO what matters is whether or not one loves money. If money is used for the good of your family and alms are given, then I don't see anything obviously immoral in having money. The problem lies in the pursuit of affluence as an aim in itself. Hope this helps

apologetic and Madeline like this.
  5. apologetic

apologetic Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you all for your reasonable responses. It is difficult to work in finance and not fall in love with money given that your job is to think about money 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I went into the profession when I wasn't Christian.

I think the solution is to meditate on Christ as much as possible and to attend Church more frequently, that way money will not be on the forefront of my mind all the time.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Money is a tool. If God has put it in your way. then how can you glorify God and love Christ and do his will through it?

Aidan likes this.
  7. apologetic

apologetic Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That is exactly my concern.