I don't want to condone Henry VIII's bad decisions... help?

Discussion in 'Church History' started by Irish Heart, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Irish Heart

Irish Heart New Member

The States
    Religion:
    Confused
    As you may have read in my introductory thread, I'm leaning toward the idea of becoming Anglican, but being a bit of a late Plantagenet/Tudor nerd, something pops into my mind that I'm a bit uncomfortable with.

Even though I realize the church has changed a great deal through the centuries, I still hearken back to the idea that Henry VIII created this denomination because the Pope wouldn't let him have his way. I feel, therefore, that willingly becoming Anglican (as opposed to be born into the faith) may essentially be condoning the late king's actions in setting aside Catalina de Aragon, even though she was faultless. (If you ignore Salic primogeniture and the whole "was she a virgin" issue, that is.)

How do all of you stand on the issue?

2. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I'll give this one a go!

It is a polemical weapon, isn't it, to point to that infamous episode and say that our church was ushered in by such infamy.

However that was not a defining moment for the church, insofar as its identity. As you'll see in the Apology, the identity of the church at the break quickly became defined as the bulwark of true orthodoxy.

Moreover, since we don't believe that the standing of the church rests on the sin or righteousness of its temporal head or its clergy, we are not theologically troubled by this.

I don't know that I've answered this to satisfaction. Both us and the other denominations (e.g. the Catholics) have infamous dealings of their heads in their history. Ultimately this doesn't necessarily invalidate them as truly part of the visible church. I would take care to be reminded that Donatism was put down many centuries ago!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  3. Irish Heart

Irish Heart New Member

The States
    Religion:
    Confused
    I don't mean to say that the church is in any way tainted because of that...I'm more concerned about appearing that I approve of the actions of a total nutter. :p

4. Classical Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Right. As for that, we are not condoning that sin at all, just as Roman Catholics don't condone the multitude of infamous sins commited by those that have occupied the seat of Peter.

Irish Heart likes this.
  5. Irish Heart

Irish Heart New Member

The States
    Religion:
    Confused
    HA! I was just about to say "you could write a book about that", but someone probably has!

6. Classical Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Jewel has a special section where he covers the track record of the Popes! I think you'll like it!

7. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I really don't think it matters all that much--all religious traditions start somewhere and for many different reasons--usually in opposition to some doctrine, personality, or practice. All that stuff with Henry VIII happened a long time ago. And the Anglian traditions have passed through many transitions--and continue to do so. If you find a parish where you can comfortably worship the Trinity, then that is that.

8. Irish Heart

Irish Heart New Member

The States
    Religion:
    Confused
    There's the second little fact about me...I've always been curious what the inside of my local Anglican church looks like. (It seems like they're quite often offering meals or doing good deeds, so that's a start!)

Scottish Monk likes this.
  9. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Henry VIII lived and died a Roman Catholic. Until the nineteenth century it was common for princes and nations to snub the popes and ignore their opinions. The Decrees of Trent were not allowed to be published in France until (again) the nineteenth century, and the Sorbonne actively burnt Jesuit books and condemned pro-Papal theories of church government. The theory of Henry VIII as a reformed catholic (Anglican) is based on little more than roman propaganda. It was Anne Boleyn who truly championed the Gospel, and after her Jane Seymour, two of Henry's unfortunate wives whose legacy (together with our Archbishop) survived into the reign of Edward VI, and it was then that the Reformation (of the Church, not a new Church) began.

Paddry and Scottish Monk like this.
  10. Irish Heart

Irish Heart New Member

The States
    Religion:
    Confused
    Anne Boleyn was (supposedly) Lutheran, not Anglican.

===

By the way: coming in here with an attitude is not a good way to win friends and influence people; especially people who are thinking of converting your way!

Scottish Monk likes this.
  11. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

"The Bad Popes" by ER Chamberlin is a great one.

12. Irish Heart

Irish Heart New Member

The States
    Religion:
    Confused
    Fortunately, it's an old book, so I should be able to get a copy rather inexpensively. Thank you for the recommendation!

13. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Is it accurate though to say Henry VIII started the Anglican Church. Wesley's followers started the Methodist Church....the 2 seem worlds apart as far as similarity is concerned.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  14. Lowly Layman

henry got the ball rolling, but unlike wesley, the end product if the church he "started" bears little resemblance to his own theology.

Classical Anglican likes this.
  15. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    My own view is that someone else got the ball rolling, in the third at least — possibly in the first — century. Henry just organised the split from Rome.

16. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

There are at least 11 references to the Church in Britain before the third century this according to the early fathers. The ancient church, was according to the Celtic Historian Nennius brought to Britain by AD 40 the English; whilst the English Church was accorded pre eminence at all the General Councils held between was

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  17. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

I shouldn't think Queen Ann was a Lutheran, certainly,if she were Henry wouldn't have gone to all that trouble just to get rid of her, Lutheranism was classed as a heresy and the end game with that was ,in those days, Burning. Also Henry, had written against Lutheranism. He'd have encouraged her to change, at least.Last Lutherans were executed in about, 1611 .

Regarding the split from Rome?
    It was not Henry's doing, though he was involved in it.. It was the Bishop of Rome who initiated the split! The Pope did not only refuse Henry an annulment, but caused King Henry to be a laughing stock through out Europe by refusing to return the bribe , in a moment of fear the Roman Bishop refused to accede to Henry's request,
    to change queens. Henry,the scholar, pointed out in a fit of pique that the Bishop of Rome had no authority to exercise his powers outside his own territory as it went against the Canons of the Catholic Church for a bishop to do such a thing. This was an enormous embarrassment for the Bishop who was having trouble with the European clergy. It was not whilst 1671, that he split from the Church in England.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  18. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I wouldn't worry too much. It's an old ploy used by certain RCs to try to discredit us (and sometimes "Protestants" in general). In fact Henry VIII was if anything anti-Protestant and persecuted them (eg the Windsor Martyrs). The real founder of the CofE was Elizabeth I, who succeeded a Roman Catholic monarch.

Classical Anglican likes this.
  19. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I think that depends on how one defines the term "Protestant." I am currently reading the early formularies of the English Reformation, namely, the Ten Articles, the Bishop's Book, and the King's Book, all of which were promulgated during Henry's reign. By Roman Catholic standards, Henry was certainly not Catholic, yet by the standards of Luther and Calvin he was no Protestant. In these earliest works, one can see the reformed Catholicism which Henry and the English Bishop's were espousing. It was after Henry's death that the radical reformers gained ascendancy and pushed a program more in line with what was transpiring on the continent.

20. Lowly Layman

perhaps by tridentine standards but Trent hadnt happened yet.