Classical Anglican works

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by JonahAF, May 25, 2013.

1. JonahAF

JonahAF Moderator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Hello everyone, allow me to introduce myself: I work with the group that helps run anglican.net, and although we don't normally participate and just use the main admin account if there is anything to communicate, I've decided to create a account for myself as well.

As you all know our site exists to propagate the classical Anglican faith, which too often today people just don't hear much about, in part due to inaccessible editions, slants of various kinds, and other reasons. So we here exist to aver exactly what that faith is, on the basis of classical Anglican works, with absolutely no editorial content from ourselves.

In this thread I will post previews of works that are in the pipeline or about to be published. You had seen the formularies together with several smaller works, and as future items work up through the ranks, they'll be previewed here.

2. JonahAF

The first to be previewed is Bishop John Jewel's classic work, The Apology of the Church of England, written in 1562. A few of our forum members have helped put together the complete text of this work, from the 1719 edition.

Here is the title page:

jewel-preview1.png

The title page is a combination of the 1719 edition and the original 1562 edition.

Here is the preface:

jewel-preview2.png

There you can see the two title-pages sourced as references.

The beginning of the text proper:

jewel-preview3.png

The page from the basis edition is in the footnotes section. Please ignore the blank area to the right as that is likely where the Table of Contents is going to go. The work will be released this coming week.

3. JonahAF

Hello dear members!

As the summer winds down our helpers are returning from their times off, and we are working on our text entry once again. I wanted to give you a sneak peek of what we have been working on. This time it is not be a prose work.

donnecross.png

That's right, almost the entire corpus of poems of John Donne will be put online, and in their original style.

4. JonahAF

"Batter my heart, three person'd God" is a famous poem in a group of Donne's works entitled the "Holy Sonnets." The first four lines are the most famous:

It is often listed in world anthologies of poetry and is very frequently invoked:
    http://www.portablepoetry.com/poems/john_donne/batter_my_heart.html
    http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~lyman/english233/Donne-Batter_My_Heart.htm
    http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173362

This poem together with rest of Donne's Holy Sonnets will be online, here with the original:

sonnet14-n.png . sonnet14-o.png

5. JonahAF

Dear members there is another project we had been working on: William Beveridge's classic eighteenth-century book-length commentary on the Church Catechism:

beveridge.png

Scottish Monk and highchurchman like this.
  6. JonahAF

To top off the above productions I am grateful to announce two more projects that had been in the pipeline for a long time, that is two seminal works of the Anglican view of Episcopacy.

Richard Bancroft's famous 1588 Sermon at Paul's Cross:
    r.bancroft.1588.png

Lancelot Andrewes's 1615 debate with the French Reformed minister Pierre Moulin:
    l.andrews.1647.png

7. JonahAF

Something new to let you all know about:

andrewes.png

I typed this up myself, with the assistance of a helpful contributor.

This work will be among the next batch of texts to be uploaded.

8. JonahAF

Dear members, this has been in the works and we wanted to let you know. It is the Book of doctrines upon family, civil, and church government, that was signed and passed by the whole Convocation of the Church of England in 1606, with some additions by bishop Overall:

overall.png

9. JonahAF

Dear members, the 1606 Convocation Book is now more or less finished and ready. It can be seen here--
    http://www.anglican.net/works/john-...ent-of-catholic-church-kingdoms-of-the-world/

The work is a fascinating resource of views which predominated the classical Anglican world in 1606.

There isn't an official announcement just yet because the book is so mammoth in size, that loading it may stump most computers more than 3-4 years old! Make sure you have a capable computer before trying to load this behemoth of a work! We are still trying to work out a way to load it easily and efficiently on any computer.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  10. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    JonahAF, my hat's off to you. This and all the works posted on anglican.net are of the highest quality. There is nothing elsewhere on the net that compares to it. The fonts are stunning and are the best attempt at capturing the look and feel of those classical texts on a browser. I pray many of us avail ourselves of this rich resources the team has made available to us, free of charge. Bravo!

11. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    All posts are very interesting. Thank you for sharing with us.

Jim Melcher and Lowly Layman like this.
  12. JonahAF

Hello everyone!

We would like to announce that an exciting Anglican classic has been in the works, and is soon to be uploaded: the legendary commentary on the Anglican liturgy written by Anthony Sparrow Lord Bishop of Exon in the 1600s.

It has taken us nearly two years to complete! but now the end seems near at hand.

The original cover from the seventeeth century:

sparrow.jpg

13. Reader

Reader New Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Great job.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  14. JonahAF

Dear members---

We have a new and exciting book project to announce. Our storehouse of works from the reign of Queen Elizabeth, one of the great periods in Church history, is expanding by republishing one of the principal Ecclesiastical works of the Elizabethan period, Thomas Bilson's Perpetual Government of Christ's Church published in 1593 to state the Anglican position on the Church in contradistinction to some dissenters then troubling the Church with schisms and newfound doctrines.

"From schoolmaster of Winchester he became warden; and having been infinitely studious and industrious in poetry, in philosophy, in physic, and lastly (which his genius chiefly called him) in divinity, he became so complete for skill in languages, for readiness in the fathers, for judgment to make use of his readings, that he was found no longer a soldier, but a commander-in-chief in our spiritual warfare,"
    -writes the antiquarian John Harrington.

"... Especially when he became a bishop, and carried prelature in his very aspect."
    -adds the chronicler Anthony Wood.

bilson.jpg

15. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Can anyone recommend a book which gives a good introduction to Anglo-Catholicism specifically?

16. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Can I just say that, though I am late to the game, with what beauty these texts have been transcribed? I love, love, love, the elegance and care taken with these texts. You do not see this anymore!

17. Anglican04

Anglican04 Active Member Anglican

I looked up Anglo-Catholicism on google shopping and found no books. But you do have a lot of people here willing to give you an introduction to Anglo-Catholicism :)

18. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

We thank you @Cameron. As the Scriptures say, our people die from a lack of knowledge, ergo, let us step into the breach once more, and remedy what needed to be remedied.

Cameron likes this.
  19. JonahAF

Much appreciated. Thank you! I am quite proud of the latest work we have put up, which is Henry Scougal's The Life of God in the Soul of Man.

img_scougal_life_note11.jpg

We brought it online because I felt we had an over-representation of books in the realm of dogmatic theology, whereas most average people would benefit from the spiritual classics and timeless literature on holiness and virtue for which Anglicanism has been so well known across the centuries. Scougal is first, and we may bring on Richard Allestree's Whole Duty of Man, Jeremy Taylor's Holy Living and Cases of Conscience, and even the work referenced at the end of Scougal, namely, An Account of the Beginnings and Advances of a Spiritual Life. Merry Christmas everybody!

CuriousBeliever likes this.
  20. JonahAF

Next up, a year later: Nowell's famous catechism!

nowell.jpg

utilitymonster and Lowly Layman like this.