What Bible Translation(s) Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Sean611, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Patrick Sticks

Patrick Sticks Member

England
    Religion:
    Christian- Anglican
    I can imagine. Should you ever flick through the Breviary, you'll find that the RC Church hardly ever prays for women in its intercessions, but this makes no sense. In English to pray for all men is to use something that is no longer regarded as gender inclusive, unlike the Hebrew and the Greek writings where 'gender-neutral language' is perfectly apt. My Hebrew is fairly non existent but certainly when in the NT they speak of anthropos/anthropoi despite the masculine rendering it really means human/s if they wanted to mention men specifically aner (man/husband).

I would say I am an NRSV man pretty much all the way down, though I enjoy a lot of the style of the JB- I was really put on to it when I met one of the translators who read it aloud. Ideally though, no translation; I am (rather too) slowly beginning to pick my Greek back up at least to this end. The same translator, along with his Jesuit colleague could both do wonderful colloquial extempore translations of the Greek which really caught their earthy quality. An enviable skill, I decided.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  2. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Patrick Sticks...

Glad to hear someone else likes the Jerusalem Bible. I have several editions.

...Scottish Monk

nkygreg likes this.