Salvete: Greetings!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Fidei Defensor, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    I thought I ought to introduce myself formally. My name is Fidei. I have been trying to find a middle road between Catholicism and Protestantism; one that stands on the authority of the Scriptures and still has some room for traditions like The Stations of the Cross, Contemplative Prayer, and Holy Orders.

I am seeking out Anglicanism as a middle road.

Can anyone recommend the best beginner book on Anglican belief and doxology? Should I start with the Episcopal Catechism?

Fidei

JoeLaughon likes this.
  2. Leacock

Leacock New Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome!

I would recommend getting a copy of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer and reading the catechism and so forth with that.

I am not sure what changes the current Episcopalian BCP has made to those materials. Now that said, the theological material found in the catechism and 39 Articles that come with the BCP aren't enough to explain everything, but I believe it does cover the core aspects of Anglican doctrine.

This fellow is selling a number of books that sound like they would be edifying, including Anglo-Catholic ones (scroll down for the more introductory ones) https://anglicanexpositor.wordpress.com/publications/

Fidei Defensor likes this.
  3. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Leacock is right. The BCP and the Articles are the best introduction to Anglican doctrine.

4. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Welcome, by the way!

5. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Does anyone know where I can study the Book of Common Prayer and Catechism pro bono (for free)?

6. Leacock

Leacock New Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I believe the entire book can be found at the below link:

https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/worship-texts-and-resources/book-common-prayer
    Oh wow, I think I recognize you from Twitter.

7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    If you like reading from actual books and are attending an Anglican church, quite possibly the rector would lend you a copy of the BCP. Plenty of them in the pews at my parish (don't swipe one without permission, though!) :)

Here's the catechism: https://www.anglican.net/works/alex...he-institution-of-christian-religion-1572/#p7

BTW, what's up with the 'flavor of the day' avatars? :laugh: You have rotated through so many already, I've lost count... and all of them were nice!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  8. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hi Rex,

I might go visit my local Angli Parish and ask for a copy fo borrow as you suggested. I prefer hardcopy (book) over eBooks.

Thanks for the catechism. :book:

Hahaha :D, yes I do commit the ‘venial sin’ of changing my avatar frequently. You probably noticed I had the Canterbury Cross for a while, Ecce Homo (Behold the Man) Christ, The Lutheran Rose Cross, and now a stain masterpiece of of our Lord Iesus Christus carrying the cross which is made up of shards of stain glass. :cool:

9. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    My current avatar is the image of a t-shirt I designed and ordered. The reverse has Romans 6:23 and the statement:
    Trust in Jesus & Receive eternal life
    Good deeds can't save you!
    It was only about $25 at customink dot com.

10. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    That is really neat you designed a tee shirt. I might have my avvie turned into s tee.