Hello!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by A Garden Gnome, Jul 25, 2019.

1. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello all!

By way of a short introduction:

17 y/o Anglican. Christened as a baby but never went to church until 3 years ago when I started reading a Gideon's Bible and thought I'd give church a go at Easter. Here I am 3 years later, a confirmed member of a Society parish (under the Episcopal oversight of a traditionalist bishop for anyone who doesn't know about FIF/the Society) sconsidering the priesthood (hence planning on reading theology at uni).

Have actually been using this website for well over a year now, but never bothered to make an account until now. It's one of the few websites I've found where threads don't always devolve in mindless insults, which is nice!

A Garden Gnome

2. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hello! I like gnomes, just recently got two gideon bibles (nkjv), am in to anglicanism, and had an alleged "encounter" with Newman. Nice seeing you here.

3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Cheers from the colonies! A big hand in support for you looking into the priesthood, with everything else going on. I don't know enough about traditionalist bishops in the UK, so are you under Bishop Philip North? On second thought don't answer that, I don't want to blow your cover. Have to be as peaceful as doves and as wise as serpents over here. Thanks for being around!

4. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Gnomes, Anglicanism, and Newman. I might adopt that as my personal motto.

5. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Haha, hi Stalwart. I'll give you an answer anyway because unfortunately I'm not under Bp North, but a 'flying bishop' as they are called. Great Bishop, but almost impossible to get hold of being as he has almost a third of England's area to zip around.

6. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Hello, Garden Gnome.

Nice to have you here, and yes, I don't see the kind of really nasty arguments here that I found on some other sites. I think that everyone here has a good amount of respect for others, even when they disagree with them.

7. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Welcome to the forums. And I agree .... this site doesn't seem to have the ugly kind of arguments found elsewhere. well, of my opinion anyway.
    :cool:

A Garden Gnome likes this.
  8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome

9. Juliana

Juliana Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican - Anglo-Catholic
    Hello Garden Gnome.
    How wonderful to see Newman looking at me... :) I am just reading a third biography before I am going to read his Apologia.

10. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Welcome. My bit of advice about your future vocation: if you feel in your heart that God is calling you into ministry, wonderful! If you are just thinking that it might be a rewarding career, don't... because that's the wrong reason.

By the way, there's a saying I've heard that has stuck with me: "Ministry is spelled W-O-R-K." And hard work at that. So, know God's will before you go. :yes:

11. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi rexlion. Thanks for the advice. I've recently done a week's "work experience" with my parish priest, and have been to a fair few vocations days. I can tell you at the end of that week I was tired. Nevertheless, I'm sure it is also a very rewarding thing to do. Of course though, one has to be called by God-I've heard it said that if there's anything else you could see yourself doing [instead of the priesthood] then it might not be a genuine vocation. Are you ordained?

12. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Me, ordained? Nope. Studied in a non-denom Bible school about 20 years ago, but that's all.