Hello from the Southern USA

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Robinson Crusoe, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe Member

Hello, all! I've lurked here a bit. A little bit of background on me. I grew up United Methodist. In those circles not many folks read the scriptures on their own, much less owned a bible. Disenchanted with the deadness and heresies of the church, in college I attended a PCA church looking for right doctrine. I found right doctrine, but the congregation seemed to be wholly unconverted and without zeal. Now I don't have a home but feel jaded by the landscape. Where is the true church? How can I distinguish between the traditions of men and the traditions of the true church? I hope you guys can help me figure things out.

Scottish Monk and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Hello Robinson, and welcome! I sympathize with your experiences. Unfortunately you will find that within today's Anglicanism there are fissures as well, and dead congregations abound. What's important is that you continue looking for what is the true church, which requires that you have a sense of what that actually is. So, what do you currently think of when you say "true church?" Oh, and by the way, what brought you our way?

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Welcome! I hope you will find what you're looking for.

4. Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe Member

The true church? I can't begin to confidently identify her characteristics! Must she have ministers rightly ordained by tactile succession? Must she accept the 7 ecumenical councils, or others on top of those? Must she adhere to the Westminster Confession, or the 39 articles? There seems to be a dizzying array of possibilities!

I found the forum through a friend's facebook post!

Scottish Monk and Lowly Layman like this.
  5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Hi RC,
    Welcome aboard from one former UMC kid to another! May God richly bless your time here.

6. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Welcome Robinson. Like others, I used to frequent the pews of a UMC. Several similarities between UMC and the Anglican traditions. Now, I am Anglican. And also in the Midwest USA.

Robinson Crusoe likes this.
  7. Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe Member

Seems like we have a little community of former UMCers!

Scottish Monk likes this.